588,655 active members*
5,999 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport - newb questions

Does anyone by chance have a breakdown diagram of a 50's style 1.5 HP J head?

I am sorry I cannot give a more intelligent description as I am new to these machines. I purchased a 1951 Bridgeport Mill It has the round ram and a 1.5 hp J head. I was told that something was wrong with the quill. To make a long story short The quill and spindle seemed to operated as expected using the pull down bar that is located on the right of the head at first, but now it seems to be pretty messed up. The draw bar has somehow came out.

The draw bar on the right side of the head that operates the machines "Z" axis has come out. There is what looks like a winding that goes around it and the handle and internals will not go back in? I am going tho circle the part in the photo.

Thank you in advance for any information you can give me...

1950 through 200?

The "return" springs are all basically the same. These tend to brake off at their attach points. Get on Ebay and search for a replacement part. In the meantime you can remove the "ribbon-Torsion spring" and use the machine as long as the quill position brake is good. Those things are pain to remove and install, but you can do it, just be careful not to damage the new spring. The reason it slips out is because your screw is missing that hols it in place!

Do a search for Bridgeport series 1 parts on the net and look for online parts list with schematics.

Hope this Helps

That helped a lot... Thank you for your assistance!

Try this site http://www.machinerypartsdepot.com/
    They have exploded views and pricing for Bridgeport Milling Machines.
    You need the Clock spring Assembly. Its Item No. 145 on there quill housing assemble view. $29.08

Stephen

Nice! Thank you guys for your help. You have saved me a ton of time...

-Ronnie

I recetnly posted a list of likks as in "Bridgeport milling machine manuals, FREE". Someone wa kind enough to scan a bunch of legacy machine manuasl ans post them FOR FREE.

The wind up spring is a bit of a pain to replace. Do it once, however, and you're a pro. DON'T let it uncoil, and don't try to "fix" the old one. Don't froget to reset the preload on hte spring or you'll have a "droopsy" problem with the quill.