588,506 active members*
6,000 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

My Boss 5 has arrived!

I picked this up from a friend. He bought it off ebay a couple years ago and never hooked it up. He had bought the RS232 kit for hooking it up to a pc, but just never got around to it. With any luck, I hope to have it going by the weekend. Right now I just have to worry about getting it off the front lawn, though. 1 question so far, their are counters on the x and y axis, one says ~700 the other says ~300. Is this in hours?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DCP_0935.jpg  

Talking

jderou,
    Nice, I would just run a extention cord and leave it there. You could just move the trailer up and mow under it, then move it back.
    Gary

Haha! I already have people at work saying "nice yard ornament, what the heck is that thing?" I bet the neighbors are calling me trash right now.

The readouts are in inches they are to keep track of any lost steps (Since these are open loop steppers that possibilty does exist.).

Darek

If you think they are talking now, just wait till you wash the chips off the table with the lawn hose
    Gary

Getting it of the front lawn will be easy. Wait till you try to go through that overhead door. If it's the one in the photo it appears to be a 7' door and the mill is over 7'.

just grabb one end with one hand and pick it up tilt it back and drag it in caveman style... thats what a REAL MAN would do!

I like the garden hose method...hmmm wounder if i could implement that in my shop?

#3 Today, 07:54 AM
    jderou
    Chip Sweeper Join Date: Aug 2004

Haha! I already have people at work saying "nice yard ornament, what the heck is that thing?" I bet the neighbors are calling me trash right now.
    don't see many houses in that picture so you probably are ok! (wish I had that much open space at my place!) not to mention the mill!
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Just like Christmas, isn't it? Getting new toys is SO much fun!

That's a good start on your shop, by the way - I like the open-air atmoshere and the elevated platform the machine is on - are you going to paint the floor of the platform green too?

You are hereby obligated to start a journal on repairs/refurbish - with lots of pics and info. Don't let us down........ (chair)

Scott

Congradulations!
    The mechanical counters are table and saddle position. When you set part program zero, you look at these and write down the values. If you shut the machine off in a place other than part program zero, this allows you to jog there and reset zero.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

From the picture it doesn't look like that you are in one of those fancy subdivisions with all there rules in Chesterfield. Congradulations on your new mill. A fellow St. Louisan.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

Ahh yes, you have discovered my second challenge. The door is 7', I am going to have to take the top of the mill apart to get it under (easier said than done). No fancy subdivision here, I can be as much of a hoosier as I want . Restoration/Retrofit will come with time, first I have to make some money! Hopefully its plug and play.

It's not a bad job actually. I had to get my 2 in through a 7' door.The top comes apart nicely and is pretty straight forward.

Good to hear, am I going to need anything other than manpower to take that top cap off (in other words is it extremely heavy)? Am I going to have to remove the pulleys? motor? Thanks

I'm not familiar with that particular machine but if it is anything like a Bridgeport you may be able to detach the motor and it's associated casting from the base/stand as one piece. YES, IT IS HEAVY. A forklift would be ideal but a modified engine hoist may work with a come-along.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

Just curious because I cannot tell from the picture. There were two versions of the BOSS 5 made. One was a rigid ram but the other allowed the head to be tilted. if you have the second type, no disassembly would be necessary. Just tilt the head.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

huh, that would be nice, unfortunately I have the rigid ram.

I removed

1 top cover
    2 motor pulley
    3 spindle pulley
    4 back gear
    5 intermediate cover
    6 spindle top shaft and bottom cover
    7 unbolted motor and rested it onto the casting.

This sounds like alot but it's actually very simple.Requires the removal of approx 15 bolts and a couple of snap rings.

Ok, I have it halfway in the garage (enough to where I cant close the garage door!) Turns out I am going to have to remove the motor (shaft sticks up too high), so I have to disassemble a little farther. Unfortunately you cant just remove the motor, you have to remove the plate it bolts too also. Hopefully shouldn't be too big of a deal, I'll continue with it tommorow.

BTW, if something were to break on me, like say the pneumatic brake lever, where would I find replacement parts?

Next question, the guy I bought this from gave me a static phase converter. Am I going to have problems with this? What kind of problems should I expect? I was just reading that static is bad.

What size convertor is it? Was he actually running the machine on it?

I ran my BOSS 5 on a rotomaster cnc balanced 5hp rotary convertor and it worked good for me.

Page 1 of 2 12