588,211 active members*
4,193 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Hobby Discussion > Anyone Ever built a Shop Cart, OR tool box

Anyone Ever built a Shop Cart, OR tool box

Hi, im looking to build a shop car with maybe a few drawers and a nice top to work on, also a nice big Toolbox, we have tons of scrap alum sheets .090 .080 .125 mill finsih alum that i work with here on the router all the time that i can use, but im not the handeest with coming up with how to bend thigns or what not. Just wanted to know if anyone has done this before or knowws where i can go to get some more info and ideas.

Rory
    I'm young and I'm just trying to learn from people that know.

Nope but in Michigan the tech programs compete against one another at the state level and one of the categories is huge freakin' beautiful roll-around's. It's been 15 years since I went and I'm forgetting the name of the group now but if high schoolers can build them, it can't be very hard...
    EXIT 85 Manufacturing "The best custom wheels, period" (www.exit85.com)
    Experts in low volume, highly complicated, one-off forged aluminum wheels

ya i know im working on Drafting up a simple shop car then a huge Tool chest just wanted to hear if people had and tips or not. Guess not lol

I built a bunch of these - maybe they are not exactly what you are refering to, but they certainly fit my bill.

Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2 of 4 workstations smaller.JPG  
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

wow those look awsome, I want something along the way of that what materal did you use? and how about the sliders? I want to make one like that for a work table and then try and make a conventanal Tool box like a Matco

Here are a few links to threads about these cabs:

http://reference.toolandfab.com/writ...nets/index.htm

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=1773

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=15905

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14398

The material I used is Alpolic. I work at the manufacturing plant, so I have a slight advantage there.....

The sliders are the inexpensive, kitchen drawer slides sold by Home Depot ot Lowes. They actually slide and close easier than the ball slides and are less than a third of the cost.

I have a tool box frmaed up, but I have not done anything with it in over a year. For the tool box, the drawers will be either aluminum sheet or sheet metal. I will use ball slides for the tool box.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

So you work for a company that makes the ALpolic? Quite nice, we use something along the lines of that hear i think its AMC or someting like that. And if you do decide to do anything with that tool box you are building let me know would love to see what you have done.

And again Thats great work on your cabnets

Rory, go to the closest High School and get aquainted with a metals shop teacher, and they will often let you use a bender or a brake... I know I used to do that when I taught Equipment Construction and repair... and welding at the local HS...

I will retire in June after 33 years... my home shop is 36 x 60... with decks on the side... I found it easier to purchase Craftsman Boxes one at a time... and got my family into giving me... gift cards for Home Depot... just a couple of Ideas...

Thanks, Rod1945... In California.

I work at a full sign fab shop we have all the nice tools, just wanted to to make something of my own to be proud of. And i hope you enjoy your retirement, I just hope people will keep on teaching the youth about fabrication, it seems to be a dieing art. And would love to see photos of your home shop.

Thanks Rory