587,125 active members*
3,696 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

OKUMA LB15 reviews

Hello. I am trying to get a little feedback on the LB15 lathe. They are older and there are some good used units around that I am considering. What should I look out for and how do they compare to newer models? Are they standard G-Code machines? Thanks.

look to get one with IGF, it's a powerful tool to make programs directly on the controller, then you can convert them to Gcodes

Okuma use a slightly different g codes than fanuc , but it's pretty similar

and okumas don't need home position

for the LB-15, we got one and we never get a major issue , we just change the screen (it was a monochrome CRT) for a LCD screen (osp500L control)
    and a couple of proximity sensors in the turret (cost less than 100$ each ! )

bearings , slide ways , chuck and all motors (coolant pump, hydrolic and spindle), and all the electronics are original, very reliable and precise machine
    just a bit slow compare to newer machines

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
    we just change the screen (it was a monochrome CRT) for a LCD screen (osp500L control)
    That wasn't cheap

But I agree no miss on the LB-15

Robert

What was involved in changing the screen out? Is it just like any computer monitor? I use Mastercam to program and I hoped it was standard Fanuc based. I am going to need a post for Okuma.

I went ahead and purchased one. Very clean unit. Not sure about the IGF, but it has every bell and whistle for the time and I am sure it would have conversational programming. Rapids are 472in/min so they aren't that much slower than new models. I look forward to using it.

I Still wish the modern machines were as well put together and as well optioned as the LB-15. It is how Okuma built their business in the USA and the 5020 control is still one of the best they ever made. The Cadet is a re-incarnation of the LB-15, but with a few changes to get around the Made in Japan tag. Most of your mechanical parts will be interchangeable over about a 15 year span. They are pretty bullet-proof machines and can be brought back to original factory accuracies with minimal effort. Yes they are slower, but they can take a hit and not have the linear guides become "non-linear" since they use good old fashioned box ways. They boot faster than the new ones, and have everything on them you need to make parts. Absolute encoders on the servos are great too. No homing needed. You can usually get a Fanuc operator to like an Okuma, but not an Okuma guy to like a Fanuc. They make so much more sense in the editor, and have had great graphics simulations since about 1985. I do admit that the newer ones do have a much nicer servo driven turret index (speed) and have nicer 3D graphics which is way better on the live tooling machines. They still have a long way to go to get the PC's as bug free and working as well as the 5020 did.

Lots of used parts floating around the internet on that machine too. I think ebay has a whole turret, servo drives, power supply, etc. listed right now...cheap!

Best of luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by WGJ View Post
    What was involved in changing the screen out? Is it just like any computer monitor? I use Mastercam to program and I hoped it was standard Fanuc based. I am going to need a post for Okuma.

I went ahead and purchased one. Very clean unit. Not sure about the IGF, but it has every bell and whistle for the time and I am sure it would have conversational programming. Rapids are 472in/min so they aren't that much slower than new models. I look forward to using it.
    The screen cannot be changed out:violin: you have to replace all the components (hard keys and such), about 5k, so I would wait until the CRT is at the very end of it's life. Mastercam will have a post for the machine but it will need to be modified especially if it has live tools. The machine I run rapids about 1000 inches a minute, so quite a bit faster. But with that small envelope it shouldn't make much difference to you. I don't think you will be dissapointed. And IGF IS the conversational programming.

in mastercam i use okuma MPLmaster post with a very few modification , it works pretty well

The screen cannot be changed out you have to replace all the components (hard keys and such), about 5k
    The CRT can be changed, if needed;
    The CRT control can be changed, if needed;
    LCD panel can be installed instead - either Okuma provided either by Your good friend smart automation engineer.
    Cleaning, adjustments and preventive soldering service is enough to have much better screen visibility in most cases.
    "hard keys ans such" is quite other matter - repaired and serviced separatelly

LB15

Very nice machines. Iv'e run VERY old ones up to the LB15II. The early ones were actually dovetail ways on the X axis. If just the CRT goes out, there are a few people that can repair it. Okuma sells it as an entire panel, and yes its expensive. The limit switches on most of them are Yamatake SL1A for rotation, SL1D for turret clamp. All World has the for around 25.00 each. Still one of my fav machines of all times. I would recommend replacing all the lube metering units and flex hoses now before you have a problem.

You should get the machine. I work for a company and we have several lathes, fanuc controls, mazatrol controls and the ones that I love Okuma lathes. We got from very old Okumas Lb12, LR15 and newones LB300 C-axis, Captain 470. I'm the programer and I use the same post for all of them even the c-axis. you can find a very good post on mastercam 9. Okuma post. The machines are very strong and reliable. You can program the machines without any cam sofware, get the book for programming and it's so easy the control does the math for you. you won't regreated if you buy the machine. if you buy the machine and need help let me know. Good luck.

LB 15 COOLANT ON TURRET

What is the best way to direct the coolant to the od turning tool on a LB-15? my turret only has the brass nozzle on the bottom of the turning tool. I saw a fortune lathe with an adapter that bolts on the turret and moves the brass nozzle under the tool to spray on the insert instead of the bottom of the tool.

sure, coolant must go to insert directly.
    I wonder if You use correct tool? On horizontal Okuma lathe insert looks down. Normal spindle revolution is M03. Chips go straight down.
    You need to use right tool (not left). There is "R" or "L" in the tool marking.

I am using a RH tool M03. my turret only has one nozzle hole in it (per tool 12 tools) but the hole is on top if you are looking in at the turret so it is spraying coolant at the bottom of the toolholder. most turrets have a nozzle above and below the tool if you are using M04.

coolant

Must be a very early LB15. the later ones had set screw plugs you could remove on the face of the turret. We used the ball sockets (fish eyes), drilled them out and soldered a 1/4 copper tube to them. Bend them where you want them and they work. We ran off about 100 extra fish eyes one day so we had enough for the showroom for years.

thats what they told me to do at the okuma dist. guess I will but the face of the turret does have the plugs but I am running so close to the chuck I have no room.