588,508 active members*
5,180 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Old Haas Tool changer problem

Old Haas Tool changer problem

Ok, this is for my dad whose Haas CNC is like nearly one of the earliest made. Trying to remember it's age, possible mid/late 80's. It has a plastic square type enclosure.
    Well the problem he is having is that he had a small crash and now when the tool changer comes in to change tools and then tries to release the tool it just alarms out. Drawbar issue now? Any ideas?
    Thanks for any help.

Oh yeah, if you take the tool out it will run just fine. Changer comes in and advances to the next tool.

You would really have to give more information for us to help. Did it bend the carousel so it does not align or what? I believe the first year was 1990, I had a 91.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Didn't crash tool changer, just while milling.

Probably moved the z axis, so it's no longer at the correct height for tool change, or knocked the orientation of the spindle out.

Quote Originally Posted by rick352fe View Post
    Ok, this is for my dad whose Haas CNC is like nearly one of the earliest made. Trying to remember it's age, possible mid/late 80's. It has a plastic square type enclosure.
    Well the problem he is having is that he had a small crash and now when the tool changer comes in to change tools and then tries to release the tool it just alarms out. Drawbar issue now? Any ideas?
    Thanks for any help.
    What is the alarm number?

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    What is the alarm number?

+1, like I said, more info.
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

102 and 113. Crashed Z axis coming down.

sounds like your tool change height is out of adjustment. the orientation should be ok since it probably has the shot pin orientation and if it changes tools without a tool in there, the tool may be hitting the tool changer giving the 113 alarm. visually check the alignment and adjust param 64 to line up the tool change position. be careful because if i remember right the plastic housed machines param 64 will adjust the entire z travel unlike the newer machines where 64 is just the tool change position.

Nope, looks good, goes in, then alarms when it should release. It will go in and turn to next opening with no problem when there are no tools in it.

It is not supposed to go in and turn to the next tool. It is supposed to go in then go up and go to the next tool, that my be your issue. If it is not going up, it will not be able to turn and change tools. You have a switch issue. Shuttle in, shuttle out, tool release, etc.

Mike

Looks like it may be the switch for the tool changer on the "in" side. But why would it work without a tool?

I would like to say that I would not, but sometimes switches can give odd results when not working properly, as they are always working in conjunction with one another.

I would check and clean each one to make sure that it is not only working, but not sticking either. They are hard to get to, but worth the effort to clean, just make sure the "E-Stop" switch is pushed when working on them.

Mike

I will add that if you clean them with WD-40 or Liquid Wrench or another similar cleaner (great for the task), that they will free the switch but will dry sticky and lead to more sticking. People make the mistake of thinking that they are great lubricants and they are not. They are penetrates that dissolve varnishes etc, but will dry hard or sticky. After you get them working, put another light oil on them.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    I will add that if you clean them with WD-40 or Liquid Wrench or another similar cleaner (great for the task), that they will free the switch but will dry sticky and lead to more sticking. People make the mistake of thinking that they are great lubricants and they are not. They are penetrates that dissolve varnishes etc, but will dry hard or sticky. After you get them working, put another light oil on them.
    M
    Great advice!
    Took me a couple years of frustration with WD-40 and limit switches on a pair of pallet changer VF-4s to figure that out. A couple drops of light oil and the problems stopped.
    Apparently I don't know anything, so please verify my suggestions with my wife.