587,983 active members*
5,271 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Wire Pulgs and Wire

I'm thinking ahead to the nesc wire and connectors I'm going to need. Anyone have any exeriance's they'd like to offer? I've found some decent connectors [ I think ] from Digi-Key [pg 256 of the Canadian cataloge- Series 1]. I'd like to hear from others as to what has worked for them.

My other question is about wiring. I'm planning on buying a larger quantity of some type of wiring and using it pretty much everywhere as far as stepper and limit switch leads are concerned. I'm thinking I'll only be needing 4 cond. 16 AWG wire. My steppers will be taking about 65v and up to 6A each, they will be connected in parrellel. Has anyone needed more than 4 conductor or been glad they went w/ a 6 or 8? I guess maybe for insurance it would be worth getting more but it will cost more when buying in the 100-200' quantity range, esp w/ shielded wire.

Opinions welcome

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I am not sure what steppers you are going to use but on my EDM the stepper is 6 wire so that is what I purchased. You may only require 4 so if you need more current you can twin them.
    John

Ya, I'm using an 8 wire however I was going to set them up parrallel so I'd just do the parrallel wiring right at the stepper. I'll probably get 6 cond, just because it isn't THAT much more and if I need it then.. its there. A person should really run seperate wiring for your limit switches and what not anyway so it would be no help there, but.. maybe in the Future it will come in handy. Any advice on connectors? Thats my real dilema....

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I used the db female connecters on the back of my box. Male connectors on the cable. Not sure how much amperage they can carry but I shorted out the connectors so I was using extra pins.
    John

060303-1119 EST USA

JerryFlyGuy:

On wire size:

See my comment item #10 of 2-13-2006 in the thread "What Gauge Wire?" in
    General Electronics Discussion. This is currently on page 3.

Relative to wire size there are basic references and basic knowledge that should allow you to answer many of your own questions. You need to understand Ohm's law, power equations, conservation of energy, circuit analysis, thermal transfer, and characteristics of materials.

The search function on this site is rather poor or you could enter --- What wire gauge --- and easily get to the thread. However, this produces too many results. If you use --- "What Gauge Wire?" --- there are no matches.

Thanks for the replies guy's, I didn't think about DB connectors, that just might work pretty swell. Esp w/ the screw down on the connection. I was originally thinking of something like a ethernet connection.. only something that was able to take the power load.. I'm sure a normal ethernet plug would go poof in short order w/ 60v /6A running through it! I'll have to look into DB connectors. I expect, however that they might not take that kind of power level also??

As to wire size I think the 16AWG should be fine, I was more concerned about the number of conductor's I should get. I think I've settled on anything over 4. However finding 16AWG [ or heavyer] 4 cond or more, shielded wire isn't the easiest.. at least not at a reasonable price. I've checked ebay but didn't see anything of that nature there.. lost of wire on offer however.. just not that particular spec. I'd also like to buy ALL or it at the same time.. create's a unified look when all the visible wiring is of the same color and size.

Thanks again guy's

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy

Not sure where you are located but I purchased from a local Electronic supplier the wire and connectors with a lot of other parts. Maybe ask the parts counter what they have as they took me back so I could pick what I wanted. Usually stocked in large rolls. Places like The Source(Radio Shack) and others like it only carry small spools and not the right stuff.
    John

I quite often share GAR's frustration with the "what do I use?" aspect as opposed to "how do I figure out what to use?" aspect of a lot of questions that involve very FUNDAMENTAL and BASIC rules of electricity, wiring, etc.

I'm becoming more inclined to taking a "look here" approach to issuing replies.

DB (whatever) computer connectors are RATED for more current than they are supposed to draw. RATED does not mean MINDLESSLY USE THEM DAY IN AND DAY OUT at that current level. When it comes to carrying current, cross sectional area (CSA) counts - period. Thus the more current you're gonna carry, the more CSA you want.

Robust connectors are well worth the cost when it comes to wiring power circuits. If you insist on using DB(whatevers) to carry power, plan on using multiple pins (see previous CSA comment) to carry high current densities.

With regard to "what size wire", look here:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17350

or here
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...480#post136480

Otherwise, use whatever you can get your hands on from surplus, your buddy, hardware store, Lowes or Home Depot or whatever and chances are it may work fine.

Then again, it may not.... but at least you now have some links that will help you figure out how to calculate the proper wire size to use. These same links will also help you figure out why it didn't work as you'd hoped or planned via the "this out to work" method that is so popular.