587,722 active members*
3,608 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Employment Opportunity / RFQ (Request for Quote). > Employment Opportunity > Small (8cm x 8cm x 3cm) aluminum part for poor college student =)

Small (8cm x 8cm x 3cm) aluminum part for poor college student =)

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to have a simple hub/spoke/rim design machined out of 6061-T6 3.25" rod stock. Please see attached picture. Designed this in Rhino, so I can export to any format necessary. Please bear with me -- this is my first machining project ever, so I know nothing at all, starting with the cost of machining such things. (Perhaps CNC is overkill for this? Alternatives?)

Outer diameter: 8.255cm (3.25")
    Inner diameter: 8cm
    Height: 2.5cm

I can provide the stock material. My idea is just to drill out the inside diameter, cut center circle, and then cut the spoke holes. This is a purely aesthetic piece, so most anything can be changed. For example, if it were to be easier/cheaper to machine if the spokes were less vertically thick, that's just fine.

I'm a poor college student, and as silly as it might sound, this project is for romance! For both of those reasons, my budget is tight and desire for someone to take pity is high =)

Thanks for reading.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails arc3.jpg  

Thanks for the several replies. Some clarifications:

• I only require one part. It'd not be very romantic if I made a dozen of these =)
    • Yes, the internal spokes can have radii. I hadn't thought of this when I was drawing, I've started a new drawing from scratch which I will upload here when I finish. I've been told to assume a 1/8" bit, implying a 1/16" radius.
    • Since this is an art piece, the only real requirement is that the outside "walls" are thick enough to be rigid. Right now, they're 0.1". I'm assuming this is thick enough...
    • I'm in Seattle and I'd hope to have the part as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by cromas View Post
    I've been told to assume a 1/8" bit, implying a 1/16" radius.
    That's a little presumptous seeing as how none of us really know the dimensions of those features. What might be more appropriate is, "the bigger the better". Make the radii as big as you can without impacting your vision.

Also, for future reference, you don't want to run an 1/8" endmill into a corner with a 1/16" radius. The endmill will stop for an instant, unload, then start in another direction causing, at worst chatter and at best a noticable overrun.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@RFR View Post
    That's a little presumptous seeing as how none of us really know the dimensions of those features. What might be more appropriate is, "the bigger the better". Make the radii as big as you can without impacting your vision.

Also, for future reference, you don't want to run an 1/8" endmill into a corner with a 1/16" radius. The endmill will stop for an instant, unload, then start in another direction causing, at worst chatter and at best a noticable overrun.
    Sorry, I was trying to be concise =) At the suggestion of the first reply I received, the radii are 0.065, a bit bigger than 1/16". Does that seem like a large enough tolerance to avoid milling problems, or should it be larger?

Again, thanks for bearing with my amateur mistakes and questions. I very much appreciate all of the advice I've already received.

R.0725" or a little bigger would be my choice.

PM sent

pm sent

Came across this looking for ideas or places to find raw aluminum... But I had to read down... Now the question is ... Did someone machine this for them,,,, and if so how did it come out...and work out in the romance Dept.... ha