Hi all!
first post here, so please excuse me if i post this in the wrong end of the forum

Im a cnc operator by profession and rc pilot/builder by heart and i would very much be able to combine the two.
I work with Mastercam and a Okuma Multus B400, so i really need another cnc machine in order to be able to build planes

ive been thinking about this alot lately and i would really like some help with this brainchild of mine

to make this easier to follow i´ll divide this post into topics..

Requirements:
To be able to cut depron and balsa, preferably playwood aswell.
Work-area of at least 1300x900mm
use iso-code (g+m-codes, x/y/z coordinates and so on)
be fairly cheap
precise to at least 0.1mm per meter travel
cut-width of maximum 1mm

not needed, prehaps not even wanted, but just to leave the possibility open, it would be a blast to be able to manufacture foam objects too (max 500mm in Z then )

concept:
Ive imagined using electric step-motors (correct name?) connected to M6-M8 rods that would push a cart on guide rails along the table for X, and mount the other motor+rod+rail set on the cart to create the Y movement.
The Z-movement would be somewhat simpler since the load will be lower, but pretty much the same concept.
so pretty much a very basic mill.

i was thinking of using vacuum suction to hold the material in place, by using a plate as work-area with numerous holes in it, sitting ontop of a airtight box connected to a vacuum airpump.
this should limit material movements during processing.

i work with metal fabrication so manufacturing all the mechanic stuff like the rails, mechanics and the movement-system and so on will be no problems, nor the pc to step-motor control, there are readily available control boxes.
and i suppose i could find a cnc control system with much enough flexibility to make this work.

but this whole concept is getting out of hand so to speak, i desperately need some techies to help me to get it all together, at least in concept before i take the next step and start sketching on a blueprint.

The biggest problem is the cutting mechanism, i have some basic knowledge, but cannot decide..

a laser would probably be best, but its VERY expensive and dangerous..

a milling cutter could cut it, but it would be very hard using a 1mm tool that doesnt flex, also it would be a nightmare to set the cutting depth, cut to deep and the tool breaks, not deep enough and i end up with a engraved piece of material..
Z movements are MUCH less forgiving than X/Y...

i had an idea using a electric welding torch (name??), and a very sharp metal cone as a cutter head and a metal plate as work table, so the light-arc created would cut the material.
Imagine a TIG torch used to cut stuff with instead of assembling parts..
the problem as i see it is first off heat, but also to get it exact enough for my needs.

as you can see, i would really need some help on this one..

the budget isnt set, but since this will be a long term project, i can afford to spend a bit, but preferably not a years salary or something like that..