587,220 active members*
2,846 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC milling machine

Hi everyone, I want to start a little compagny on my basement but it's all new for me so can you please advise me on this.

I'll put 2 pictures to show you what I wanna do, the size of these plates are usually not more then 10" X 6".

What milling machine should I need for that ?
    What kind of software ?
    Anything else ?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00169.jpg   DSC00170.jpg  

I don't have a bench top mill but have read most everything on them here that I could (just in case :-) )
    If you are serious about getting to work on those plates I would purchase a Syil SX3. You could program directly from Mach 3 (comes with it) or use software such as FreeMill.
    I would highly recomend building/buying some sort of high speed spindle (10 - 15K RPM) for using small cutters in aluminum.
    You will be able to fly through making these plates with this setup.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

This milling machine look awesome !!

For a newbee as me, is there a kind of internet cours ?

Will I need somethning more with this machine ?

Thanks

CNC Milling Machine

If you got time you might be better off buying a manual Milling Machine and Retro Fitting it with CNC as i did this i learned alot about CNC along the way. I didn't know anything about CNC before i retro'ed my machine and building it helped me understand how the thing works and i feel i'm a better operator for it.

You need to decide if you want to be a machinist.

Or if you want to make a product.

Some people would argue that it's the same. However, I can tell you that I've spent more time trying to learn about cnc and machining. Than I have ever spent trying to make my actual product.

Lots of money and time later. I'm almost to the point where I can make something.

If your more interested in making the product, than learning about machining. I'd look at one of the cnc machine vs one of these retrofits.

((I have an x3 retrofit. It should do everything I need it to. However, I might have been better off to buy a tormach type machine and just make my parts))

What I really want to do is the parts shown on my first tread, but I've got a full time job and I want to do that part time (night and weekend)

I would also doing aluminum Radio Teleguided parts.

So I dont' know on what type should I be, machinist or products maker and what could be the easy solution !

Also, I dont' know if I'll be able to make money, cause I want to do these plates cause where I work we buy these for about 7000 $ a year, and it's just for my compagny and there's other compagny who need it !

I need all of your advice to know that !

Thansk

You could do that but what happens when the machine breaks down you have to call someone to repair it. When building your own you learn what needs to be done to minimize down time thus increasing productivity. I know when my machine breaks down (and it does happen) i can get the thing fixed quicker and easier than it would take for me to find someone who has the knowledge to fix it. If you baught a Tormach you would have to send the machine to them for repair or would they send a tech out to your place?

How can I build that ????

To make your plates you can learn to do simple CNC machining at a local college night course very easily. To design and build a CNC can take years (decades) of proper training and R&D. We can all attest to not buying from the upstart company because the bugs take years to work out.

To convert a mill to CNC without any prior experience will take a very long time. For someone who has a job and a family and doesn't have a machine shop of their own it will easily take 6 months or more.
    The precision of operation of the final product is directly related to your prior experiance and knowledge of building this kind of equipment.

Long and short -
    You CAN build a fine machine yourself for less money.
    Build will take a lot of time and research and possibly result in an inferior machine.
    A purchased machine will have warranty.
    A purchased machine will be ready to use in hours.

I've got a full time job and a family so your right I've got time but not as much as I would !

OK, If I get back to what I wanna do, the Syil Super X3 would do the job ?

This machine cost about 5000$ US, is there a cheapest way or cheapest will mean less quality, less less..........

I have no idea about tormach's repair/support process.

I don't have one. I'm just saying that the original post says.

"....I want to make parts in my basement, what mill should I buy...."

Obviously, that is open to interpretation. Personally I choose to go with the retrofit route. However, I can say that if I did it over again. And I was truly more interested in making items than retrofitting a mill. I would have bought a production type machine.

Of course, in that respect. It would have been a better business choice to have someone else make the parts until I found that there was enough market to justify the purchase of the machine. This is actually what I'm doing at the moment. The cost of all the tooling I needed out weighed the value of the initial prototype. So I bit the bullet and paid someone to make it. After shopping around, it was a lot cheaper than I expected. Albeit, it will be better profit in the long run to have my machines doing all the work.

Now if you have a bunch of different hobbies and you like to tinker. Then I by all means jump all over it. I'd just hate to see someone loose focus, if they are truly more interested in making a product than being a machinist.

I fall into that category. I have more tools and clutter than any one person needs. However, I can't help but feel that I'd be farther along in my business. If I hadn't tried to take on another hobby.

There is no really cheap way to go it is all arbitrary to your viewpoint.
    If you can not justify $5g for a machine & $2g for tooling etc, then you are looking at doing the wrong thing.
    Feasability needs to cover the cost of your equipment, utilities and a profit margin. If it can't then it is not worth doing.

You decide.

If you want any of these quoted, give me a shout.
    1 offs (depending on your specs) will take 1 - 2 hours.
    If you have a bunch of 1 offs (like 10 pcs but each a little different) could do the lot in 3 - 4 hours.
    A production run will be less again.
    My rate is $56/hour

Thanks everyone, I appreciate !

A cheap, simple solution....have one of us make them for you...probably not me....

Skip the machine cost, G-code, modeling...you don't have the time, and you complete your objective quicker.

That is a decent option. You just need to price it out to multiple people.

Just keep in mind that your working with someone else's time/abilities etc.

I know that I'm getting some parts made currently. I believe the guy has all the best intentions. He's been more than willing to talk and work with me on all aspects. It's just frustrating to deal with that aspect.

True, true....

Have to find the right guy, and have him make a sample for you to determine, quality, and leadtimes.