588,500 active members*
4,857 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach Rapid Turn / Path Pilot parting question/ bug??

Red face Tormach Rapid Turn / Path Pilot parting question/ bug??

Hi-

I have the Rapid turn and am doing the tutorial part. For some reason on the parting conversational, (pictures attached), it's throwing an error saying that the X and Z inputs call for orientation 2. The parting tool is orientation 1. It's supposed to cut off the part at -1.6.

I'm entering the values exactly as depicted in the Rapid Turn tutorial.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Matt

Re: Tormach Rapid Turn / Path Pilot parting question/ bug??

Is your monitor upside-down, or do you live in Australia?? :-)

Regards,
    Ray L.

Switch the tool orientation to "2" for Tool number 2, your parting tool. Did you use the "touch tool" and add the width of the parting tool so the control point is on the right side even though you touched a known reference on the left? That adjusts the actual cutting point to cut at the programmed length even though you touch on the left. The manual shows a orientation of "1", but you can't touch a tool off on the left with that orientation. I think that is an error in the manual.

I haven't used the parting tool yet with the Rapidturn, but I did with the Duality. As I recall that was one of the quirky things, but once I got everything figured out and setup it worked great and as expected. The manuals aren't always correct as things get changed. I am milling on my machine now or I would check out how I had that setup.

Quote Originally Posted by mattford1 View Post
    For some reason on the parting conversational, (pictures attached), it's throwing an error saying that the X and Z inputs call for orientation 2. The parting tool is orientation 1.
    You have "Part" selected on the screen instead of "groove", but your final diameter is 0.500".

Try selecting final diameter of 0.000" and see if it works.

Apparently PP doesn't like you using the "parting" selection when making a groove.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbkahuna View Post
    Switch the tool orientation to "2" for Tool number 2, your parting tool. Did you use the "touch tool" and add the width of the parting tool so the control point is on the right side even though you touched a known reference on the left? That adjusts the actual cutting point to cut at the programmed length even though you touch on the left. The manual shows a orientation of "1", but you can't touch a tool off on the left with that orientation. I think that is an error in the manual.

I haven't used the parting tool yet with the Rapidturn, but I did with the Duality. As I recall that was one of the quirky things, but once I got everything figured out and setup it worked great and as expected. The manuals aren't always correct as things get changed. I am milling on my machine now or I would check out how I had that setup.
    Hi. Yes I did add the thickness of the tool. I will try setting the control point to 2 and see what happens :-). Thanks for the reply!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tormach Rapid Turn / Path Pilot parting question/ bug??

Quote Originally Posted by mattford1 View Post
    Hi. Yes I did add the thickness of the tool. I will try setting the control point to 2 and see what happens :-). Thanks for the reply!

Did that workaround help?
    How does one change a tool orientation?
    (EDIT: you change orientation on the offsets table tab in offsets)

I have this same problem with the 15L after the PP update.

Per manual (and Tormach vid) cut off tool orientation should be #1 but after the update (I needed update to resolve the tapping issue) is now calling for a tool orientation #2.

I've called tech support and waiting for a reply. Will keep you posted

Tormach says it should be corrected In The next update. My tool is off by .1 for some reason. I've corrected in the offset but I don't understand why it's doing that.