587,245 active members*
3,115 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > CRP500 PRe wired NEMA 23 electronics low voltage on PWM pins

CRP500 PRe wired NEMA 23 electronics low voltage on PWM pins

Greetings,

I finally finished my PRO4848 build and have began testing and run into an issues with the NEMA 23 CRP500 pre wired electronics kit. I am using the single PWM output on the BOB to control Spindle RPM. When requesting full speed (24,000 rpm) the ESS and BOB are only sending 8.8v rather than 10v. Using pulley 4 , 2000 - 24000 rpm. Acceleration is setup as specified by CNCRP. Is there somewhere I should be looking to troubleshoot this? Any ideas on how to output the full 10v?

-Cody

Re: CRP500 PRe wired NEMA 23 electronics low voltage on PWM pins

are you using the CNCRP spindle or one purchased elsewhere?

i just finished my pro4848 assembly and am going to start wiring my 2.2KW chinese spindle. cory gave me a little advice about pins but if you've set it up already i'd appreciate a few pictures of the wireing and setting you've altered so far.

sorry i'm no help as to fixing the problem, but hopefully i can learn from your experiances

I'm using the 2.2k Chinese spindle and VFD. I'll get you some photos soon. Its pretty easy to hook up actually. I really only had to run one wire from the electronics enclosure to the VFD to control speed.

I'm not in front of my electronics , but is there there a pot on the BOB CNCRP uses for PWM voltage? For some reason I'm still not getting 10v when Mach 3 is calling for full speed. When 12k rpm (1/2 speed) is called for, I'm only seeing around 7500rpm. I can manually bump rpm up in Mach 3 and it will go up to 22k ish rpm but never the full 24k.

To answer my own question, no there isn't. Still looking for a solution. I believe Ahren from CNCRP is going to send me a replacement BOB to try.

If you can bump the RPM in Mach3 and get full speed out of the spindle then the BOB is outputing full 10v as it should.

There is a configuration issue somewhere, but I am not sure where it would be.

The highest I can get when manually bumping it up in mach 3 is about 8.8-9.0v. When controlling it from the vfd I can get full speed. I already changed the breakout board and it didn't help out.

Quote Originally Posted by nlancaster View Post
    If you can bump the RPM in Mach3 and get full speed out of the spindle then the BOB is outputing full 10v as it should.

There is a configuration issue somewhere, but I am not sure where it would be.

Still was not able to get this sorted out. The router is working great, other that the variance between the requested speed and actual speed. Is there a way to calibrate spindle speed when using PWM in Mach 3?

Yes, but only if you have a tachometer on the spindle feeding the rpm back to mach3.

Try deleting your linearity.dat file with mach3 closed.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Yes, but only if you have a tachometer on the spindle feeding the rpm back to mach3.

Try deleting your linearity.dat file with mach3 closed.
    I was under the impression that the linearity.dat file didn't affect the rpm when using the ESS and PWM control?