587,579 active members*
3,561 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Grizzly G3102/3 CNC Conversion???

Grizzly G3102/3 CNC Conversion???

Hello everyone,

I'm afraid I already know the answer to my own question, but here goes. I have a Grizzly G3103 knee mill,(3102 w/ power x feed). I was wondering if there are any sources( any at all!) for converting this mill over to CNC? I was about to go about it myself, but wanted to research possible plans that may be available. I have a full functioning machine shop, so building parts is no problem. I'm not however computer saavy but I get by. Hope someone out there can help. Thanks for looking.

Regards,
    Phil

Hi Phil,
    I'm new to this forum and just saw your post. I'm looking to buy a small CNC and I think the Grizz G3103 looks as good as any. Grizzly techs were not helpfull though in finding a CNC conversion. Did you ever get this done and what else can you tell me.
    Thanks
    bistro

Hello Bistro,

No luck yet unfortunately. If I find anything, I will let you know. If you find anything, let me know. Good machine. If you do get it, drop me an e-mail and I can give you a couple of good mods.

Regards,
    Phil

how did the project go?

i was thinking of converting the grizzly 3102 to a cnc, it will be my first conversion so i have alot of things to learn along the way. i was wondering what components you used and were there any major modifications you had to make to the machine?

Never tackled it!

Never did get around to doing the mod. If you do one, please keep me posted as I do want to tackle this project in the future. Thanks.

Phil

Grizzly 3102 CNC'ed

I have had this machine for over one year and in the process have started a cnc conversion. Currently have completed X and Y axis. I am not sure which Z to add the stepper too. Quill or knee?

The machine is current torn down for a cleanup and possibly clean the ways.

I have a Grizzly 3102 and I have found it to be a great little mill for my business. I put a VFD on it and would like to CNC it. My problem is that I don't know where to begin. I think for my purposes, the quill would be CNC, but not the knee. My other problem is that I can't afford to have the mill down for long (a week). Perhaps I will have to buy another 3102 and CNC it. Or would I be better off buying a mill that comes CNC? Any advice would be helpful.
    Tim

Grizzly mod request

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Hello Bistro,

No luck yet unfortunately. If I find anything, I will let you know. If you find anything, let me know. Good machine. If you do get it, drop me an e-mail and I can give you a couple of good mods.

Regards,
    Phil
    Phil, I have the Grizzly G3103 mill and wish to convert it to CNC..

You stated on the CNCZONE forum that you had some useful mods for this machine. Could you please email your notes?
    Thanks,
    Steve Bell, Tucson Arizona