588,636 active members*
5,913 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Can't get EMC to work with stepper drivers

I'm trying to get emc2 to work with my CY-41 stepper drivers. They are opto-isolated, and I can't find a way to power the logic "correctly".

What I mean is, I can't power the logic with the same power supply as the motors (Using an old AT computer PSU) for some reason, it just doesn't work. So, since such a low voltage is required, I decided to try to power it off the parallel port.

Works fine, except the pinout is confusing me. I'm only trying to get an X-axis working for now, and the only way I can get it to work is if I power the logic with the Xdirection (pin 3). Obviously this will not do, as the motor will only turn clockwise.

I don't know what else to do though. I've tried using different pins, and inverting them, but nothing seems to work. I read something about Xen, Zen and Yen and how if a pin is assigned to one of these, it acts as an "Enable" pin, so I'm thinking I could power the stepper driver logic off this, but I don't know. What should I try to get this working?

Some people power their stepper controller boards with 5 volts taken from a USB port on the PC.

The USB connector pinouts are shown at USB pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
    Some people power their stepper controller boards with 5 volts taken from a USB port on the PC.

The USB connector pinouts are shown at USB pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru
    So I should make a USB cable that provides +5v for the stepper controller. Should I connect the USB ground to the common ground for the controller (There's already a PC power supply ground for the motors, and the parallel port ground), or is this already taken care of by the parallel port ground?

The pc power supply I'm using is in no way connected to the computer I am running EMC2 on.

Could somebody explain why I can't power the controller with the same power supply as the motor? or is it a problem specific to my controller?

Thanks for all the help, started on the frame for my mill today now that I know I can at least get a motor to move

While a quick google search for info about your controller brought up a photograph of that model of controller, I have not found an instruction manual, wiring diagram, or schematic for the controller.

So, I am reluctant to make any suggestions specific to your controller and how to wire it up in your specific installation. That is why my post about using a USB cable to provide 5 volt power was somewhat general in nature.

Can you post a link to information such as an instruction manual, wiring diagram, or schematic for your controller?

Of course, it took me a few hours to find it...most every reference of it is gone.

http://cyberpakinc.com/pdf/CY4142.pdf

It is the CY41 model.

found it here:
    Index of /pdf

the reason you don't power it from the stepper power supply is
    is that it defeats the purpose of opto isolation.

after saying that it should work anyways. Are you sure the power supply is providing power? some need a resister installed to work.
    You need to connect the ground as well as the 5v for the opto side.

Then you need from EMC: enable, step, and direction pins

Did you connect a resister to the step drive? It doesn't mention what happens if there is no resister.

Quote Originally Posted by chester88 View Post
    the reason you don't power it from the stepper power supply is
    is that it defeats the purpose of opto isolation.

after saying that it should work anyways. Are you sure the power supply is providing power? some need a resister installed to work.
    You need to connect the ground as well as the 5v for the opto side.

Then you need from EMC: enable, step, and direction pins

Did you connect a resister to the step drive? It doesn't mention what happens if there is no resister.
    *Facepalm* I should have realized that, thanks. And yes, I have the resistors set up to limit the motor to 1.1 amps

Also, the enable pin can be left not connected (In this case it is enabled by default). The only output from EMC needed is step and dir, I just can't get the controller to be powered properly (I think).

Using the motor power supply as the driver logic power supply doesn't work though. I had the PSU ground connected to the ground pin, along with the parallel port ground. PSU +12v was to the motor supply, and +5v was to the controller logic. Pin 2 and 3 are step in and ground.

Works fine when the parallel port pin 3 is mapped to X_direction, but connected to the controller logic. Well....of course the motor can only turn one way, as the opposite way will pull the pin low and the controller will get no power.

I'll try it with a USB cable supplying the logic +5 volts and USB ground connected to the PSU and parallel port ground then.