587,220 active members*
2,872 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > ProtoTrak SMX on a DPM2 not saving programs

ProtoTrak SMX on a DPM2 not saving programs

I have attempted to save different programs on a floppy disk on our SMX controller, but I keep getting the same error message:

"File contains a character that cannot be used to save the file"

If I put a new floppy in the drive, the file will be saved without a problem. This leads me to believe there may be a corrupt file on my floppy disk. How can I isolate the file (if that is the problem)?

Thank you!

character

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    I have attempted to save different programs on a floppy disk on our SMX controller, but I keep getting the same error message:

"File contains a character that cannot be used to save the file"

If I put a new floppy in the drive, the file will be saved without a problem. This leads me to believe there may be a corrupt file on my floppy disk. How can I isolate the file (if that is the problem)?

Thank you!
    have you tried another name? some machines need a specific file name like 1234.mx2. and sometimes file does have a unknown character if created with a CadCam program..... you mention problem goes away with new floppy disc. in my experience floppy disc have a limited life. you could try bringing to a computer and running scandisk or chkdsk on it but the floppy disc is probably only worth less than $0.10. With modern USB flash drives we forget that older technology like floppy discs are not as reliable.
    ...... many floppy drives need the dust cleaned out of them as after many years they get dirty.

TomB,

I transferred all of the files to a new floppy drive isolating two files that, if, placed on the floppy will not allow me to write to the old floppy or the new floppy. Is there a method to fix these files? I may just end up contacting Southwestern to talk with their application engineer.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    have you tried another name? some machines need a specific file name like 1234.mx2. and sometimes file does have a unknown character if created with a CadCam program..... you mention problem goes away with new floppy disc. in my experience floppy disc have a limited life. you could try bringing to a computer and running scandisk or chkdsk on it but the floppy disc is probably only worth less than $0.10. With modern USB flash drives we forget that older technology like floppy discs are not as reliable.
    ...... many floppy drives need the dust cleaned out of them as after many years they get dirty.

floppy problems

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    TomB,

I transferred all of the files to a new floppy drive isolating two files that, if, placed on the floppy will not allow me to write to the old floppy or the new floppy. Is there a method to fix these files? I may just end up contacting Southwestern to talk with their application engineer.

Thanks.
    assuming the floppy disc is not just full, the 2 files you have problems with maybe just a corrupt file. an error from a bad spot on an old floppy disc may have caused the 2 damaged files. damaged / corrupt files often cannot be copied or opened. bad spot can come from dirt, mold, dust, old age, etc
    .......in microsoft windows in file explorer, right click floppy drive and select properties, then tools, then error-checking. but with an $0.10 old floppy disc sometimes the best thing is throw it away. sometimes you can reformat the floppy disc and the errors go away. sometimes floppy disc problems also occur keeping them too close a magnetic sources like speakers but other times it is just best to expects a limited life from a floppy disc
    ...... i have learned a long time ago always have copies of all files on different disc, flash drives, etc. i back up (copy) all CNC files at the end of everyday. When old computers used to crash many times a day and bad floppy disc problems used to happen a couple times a month it was the best thing to do was to have backup copies on different discs