Hi,
I am a relative beginner to CAD Software.
First I am only a home shop player. A man grew up in physical dimensions but deep inside he is still a boy. Only his toys are getting more expensive.

I have been looking for a CAD software to use to design what I am doing in my home workshop. I am here referring to a few projects like:
Knifemaker's belt sander, milling attachment, QCTP, tool holders, knife sharpening jig, several jigs for my lathe, camping equipment, a cigarette lighter, bullet mold, attachments for my muzzle loading equipment, etc. So it is for hobby use and not for commercial.

I have played with Blender 3D, Wings, but this is not actually for CAD, but more for 3D films. There are not the ability to draw up a set of plans. I am prepared to design something in 3D and screen capture the 3D part to an open space of the 2D plan and just add dimensions, but I know it is out there somewhere. Blender can round off the edges perfectly but that influence the scale.

I then bought TurboCAD 3D Deluxe 17 (all I could afford). The learning curve for the 2D is not so bad with the 2D, but the tutorials for 3D you have to pay nearly as much as the program itself.

If you look at the comparison card between the Deluxe and the Turbo at:

http://www.turbocad.com/Portals/1/Ch...%20compare.pdf

I feel that I have wasted my money for a 3D package, but not for 2D. The following elements are not available for the Deluxe but only for the Turbo and Platinum:
3D Solid Modeling and Editing
3D Terrain Modeling
3D Shelling, Lofting and Surfaces
3D Deformable Modeling
3D Pattern Copy Tools
Extrude to Face, Twisted Extrude Tools
Imprint Tool
Parametric Part Maker and Manager
History Tree with Editor
Architectural

I have search further and there were some other free 3D software but what stood out are the following:

1. Autodesk 123D (I have played with it so far. It looks promising but still lacks, as it is designed to be either free or cheap. You have to publish to online Autodesk WS for plans. If they decide to ask money for the final it will have to offer something for the hobbyist or he will not spend money on that.

2. Delcam's Powershape-E Student version. This is free but can only write plans to A4 pages.

3. T-Flex Student version. This is basically the same than Powershape-E.

The last two options are the same as the full version, with the exception it can only print to A4 with a note marked as such on the edge of the page. Both can only print to itself (the pro can not open the student version. I am currently playing with T-Flex as their first tutorial made an impression on me, It is brought over to me in both writing as well as a video. I feel can still use another 2D program for the 2D and screen capture the 3D on that as an image should I really need to print larger than A4. Most of my projects will fit on an A4.

When I first bought the TurboCAD 3d Deluxe I was overwhelmed by the pictures I saw on the cover box, but I was not familiar with the 3D Modelling terms. I know it is fine for 3D houses and buildings but I do not want to draw that. Only machine tools as mentioned. What also amazes me is that I have searched for 3D video tutorials for TurboCAD but I only found those for which you must pay. The engineer tutorials are only available for Turbo.

Tell me, Was the purchase of TurboCAD 3D Deluxe so bad? Maybe I must try to buy an older version of say TurboCAD 3D Turbo 16 or of another program.