587,818 active members*
2,950 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > KX3 anyone got one?? comments

KX3 anyone got one?? comments

Gday all,
    looking around this forum for the right place to start.
    I have read a bit on the bench top mill thread already
    I am looking to buy a turn key system soon, leaning towards Sieg KX 3 or the like. unless someone can recomend a better system.
    Budget to be around $10.000 AUS, mainly working scale models intended work. and prototyping. also to pay itself off over 5-10years from my shed very casual production. mainly Ali and maybe some Stainless.
    but what programs to use, is mach 3 as good as im reading.
    Can i design with CAD to mack3 then mill?
    Are teig, sieg, x3, basicly the same machine?
    And links to get me started learning, reading, researching
    any advice will be much appericated

Whats demos to try,
    I will do my best to research myself, but age old questions may be asked sorry.
    Im 35 my experiance is welder fitter to electrical tech, jack of all but never turned metal, cant wait thou.
    Im in no hurry to buy the wrong thing and looking for level advice.
    Thanks ROV

mini-lathe.com has a nice review http://www.mini-lathe.com/KX3/KX3-2.htm

Mach3 is the way to go IMO. With mach 3 you can also make the code for the most basic operations like drilling holes, pocketing, facing etc., but if you want a very easy CAM software that can handle most 2.D operations, take a look at vcarve from vectric. Its a bit expensive, but worth it. I have ProE for the more advance CAM, but still uses vcarve most of the time.

If you want to have a look of what can be done with a KX3, take a look at my building thread http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76676

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

You may also want to take a look at the Tormach machine, it bigger but not that much more expensive.

Thanks, heading there now
    I did read that review cheers but always good to here from a owner.
    Yer Tomach been reeding and looking, looks great and the size i want
    but even the KX3 is 10k alone here in AUS + 500 shippinig then tools, this isnt going to stop i can see that LOL ,,,,Im in for the long run
    thank you

I got mine from http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...Hobby-CNC-Mill

If the KX3 is so expensive in AUS, you should definitly look at the Tormach

Quote Originally Posted by Guldberg View Post
    I got mine from http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...Hobby-CNC-Mill

If the KX3 is so expensive in AUS, you should definitly look at the Tormach
    you may also look around x4 regular,any questions contact me.
    syil.com.cn
    Direction,Commitment,Follow through

Hi Rov

I have a KX3 and a KX1

if your near brisbane your welcome to come and have a look at them.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by robwhi View Post
    Hi Rov

I have a KX3 and a KX1

if your near brisbane your welcome to come and have a look at them

Cheers
    Thanks Rob
    But i am in perth, but looking to know how good the machine is and set up price

I have an AUS quote of around 10K just for the machine then i will prob add 2-3k in tools and vice,, does that sound right to you,
    its only 4k US

Mainly i want to do Scale model parts for choppers and 1/8th bikes RC

I have to start from nothing and teach myself
    what programs do you run
    has the machine been relaible

Thanks for reply
    ROV

Hi Rov

That sounds about right. Is this the ones from Minitech ?
    They run the sieg software and have a completely different controller to the most of the us and UK ones I have seen and I think are slightly more expensive . There is plus and minus with the sieg software and the latest version is a lot better . The KX3 is far better sorted than the KX1 as I had a few issues with this machine and not to mention it does not have homing switches as stated
    To be honest I have hardly used the KX3 yet . I use the KX1 the most at the moment. mainly because I have easier access to it and I have set a touch screen up as well on this machine.

Regarding software I think you might find that a bit frustrating like I did. I am now using kipware as a conversational software which is great after a few very small issues. The manuals and videos need a more work though though the learning stage for newbies. But I have to add their support is excellent I have documented a lot of help areas in the manual as My father wants a easy to use machine for basic operations and with this setup with the touch screen . The way I have it set up it absolutely fantastic for jobbing type work with this arrangement and you really don't have to have programming expertise.

I am also going to do a fair bit of low volume mold work on the machines which I have purchased onecnc to do this kind of work

Pm me if you would like to know more and I will give you my mobile number it might be easier to talk if you have a few questions.
    Note I might not answer straight away but I will call you back as I am having a few health issues and feel great one day and absolutely crap the next.

Also be wary that they are chinese electronics and everything I have that is chinese electrics seem to have issues. So far the Sieg CNC's have been alright (touch wood) They are definitely built better than there standard sx3 and x3 mills. My intention in the future will be to give the KX3 to Dad I will step up to a larger machine something like
    www.toolmach.com.au new machine (with Aussie electronics or similar)

Try this website it is setup for the Mach3 Sieg cnc and John was a great help
    with my KX1 issues

http://www.smallcncsupport.com/

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rov

Do you mind me asking what you intend to make on the Kx3

Cheers

Rob

G'day Rov,

I've had the KX3 from Minitech for a couple of months now and find it a very good machine. So far I have not had any real problems with the Sieg electronics and software. I had to decrease the acceleration values to prevent the machine over-running endpoints and going off into a slow "I don't know where I am" circle.

I'm currently using TurboCAD v12 with TurboCAM plugin. This is only good for 2.5D. I bought the 4th-axis rotary table with the machine and I'm currently considering OneCNC to be able to drive that more effectively.

I mainly use it for RC parts, model steam engine parts and also custom parts for my racebike. Accuracy and finish are very good.

Cheers,

red