588,662 active members*
5,269 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Talking 5 x 10 plasma table build

Well I've gone and done it, I nearly broke the bank and bought a hypertherm 1000 G3. This should be able to do 1/2 plate in production, I don't plan on anything thicker than 1/4, but I like to know I have the POWER. I've also aquired (within the bounds of the law) some motors that I need some info and help on.

I have 2 westamp motors and the name plate is as follows:

type MT :231
    Cont Current : 6.5
    Max Voltage : 100v
    Pulse Amps : 34
    Tach : 7.0 volts/1000rpm
    Insul : F

I ripped the top cover off of the motor assm. and saw 2 heavy wires (#10) and 2 light wires (#16). The heavy ones would be for the drive pwr, but what are the light one's for?

I also have a third motor that I belive is a stepper. The only thing I could get off of the nameplate is:

Electro Craft
    Part# 0652-00-004

I need to know the specs of this motor.

On top of each motor is an encoder, I think it is a 500 count. I found it on the company's web site but most of it is greek to me.

BEI Motion Systems Company
    Model# : L25G-F2-SB-500-ABZC-8830-LED-SC18-S
    Part# : 924-01008-1195

Will these encoders work with a Gecko or a Rutex board?

I also have 3 Bison gear boxes, the 2 on the westamps are 30.6:1, and the one on the stepper is 40:1.

What lube if any is used in these?

I also have a pile of cables with amp connectors. (2 for each motor, and a couple of trunks)

My plan is to use the 2 west amps for the X and Y, and use the stepper for the THC. I want to use Mach2/3 for the control, and rutex or gecko drives. I also plan to use Bob Campell's breakout board an THC module if I use the geckos. The only thing that troubles me is that nasty 128 count shutdown on the gecko's. For the rails I plan to use angle (like Benny). Gear rack is my first choice for the drives, and timing belts are a distant second.

It will have a water table with the capacity to handle a 5 x 10 sheet of plate.

I would like to find a place that STOCKS the following items in Alberta Canada, although western Canada would do (shipping and brokerage fees from the U.S. ups the cost too much). I've found distributors in Canada for some stuff, (according to the web sites of the mfg's) but when I phone the store (ex: Bearing and Transmission) they have no clue about gear rack etc... So here is my wish list:

V groove bearings
    Cam followers with ecentric studs
    Gear rack
    Spur gears
    Timing belts
    AMP connectors, and those neat little plyers that crimp the pins
    Hot, young naked blonde women

I was just checking to see if you were still reading.

I hope to start sourcing this stuff soon...

Thanks,
    Carl
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

Quote Originally Posted by DSL PWR

I ripped the top cover off of the motor assm. and saw 2 heavy wires (#10) and 2 light wires (#16). The heavy ones would be for the drive pwr, but what are the light one's for?
    These are most likely wound field (not permanent magnet) so you would need a special amp with field supply.
    I can get back to you later with the rest, (the blonde might be a problem) (chair)
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thats what you get when you answer in a hurry, I was just on my way out and realized I had given you a bum steer, the two small wire are the tach wires which you should not need on modern amps as they are used in the current mode rather than velocity mode.

I also have a third motor that I belive is a stepper. The only thing I could get off of the nameplate is:

Electro Craft
    Part# 0652-00-004

I have the listing for the 0642 which is a DC motor, often ElectroCraft supply OEM's and put a house number on, so the only way to identify is by physical dimensions and obtain as many electrical characteristics as possible.

On top of each motor is an encoder, I think it is a 500 count. I found it on the company's web site but most of it is greek to me.

These are 500 count/rev line driver with ABZ pulses complementary outputs, you should be able to use just one channel if thats all that the amps require.

I also have 3 Bison gear boxes, the 2 on the westamps are 30.6:1, and the one on the stepper is 40:1.

They can be used in a CNC application but only if they are zero ( or low) backlash type.
    The lube requirement you would have to get from the Bison web site.

I would like to find a place that STOCKS the following items in Alberta Canada, although western Canada would do (shipping and brokerage fees from the U.S. ups the cost too much). I've found distributors in Canada for some stuff, (according to the web sites of the mfg's) but when I phone the store (ex: Bearing and Transmission) they have no clue about gear rack etc... So here is my wish list:
    Most of those items B&T should be able to provide, but BC Bearing supply Boston Gear rack, there may be a one near you, or Calgary.
    If you want AMP connectors, the CPC style are one of the most economical for quick disconnect and resemble the military MS style, Electrosonic supply them, the pins can be soldered so you do not need an expensive crimper.
    Working on it :tired:

Albert E.

I got some brunettes but those blondes seem hard to come by!

BC Bearing supply Boston Gear rack

where to find more info on that company?

im from bc myself.. and dont mind trying get some local supplier for cheaper stuff

Albert E.

Anybody know what the max rpm of the westamps will be at 80v? I can't seem to find any info on the web.

Anybody? I need to know the RPM's asap so I can order up some pinion's and rack to get this show on the road.

OMG... one place want's 90 bucks for v-groove bearings! and 45 bucks for ecentric cam followers! If I can't find cheaper bearings, I'll have more money in bearings than the table!

Any thoughts on where I can find the speed rating of the west amp motors?

You may have a problem with the Motor specs as Westamp have been bought out a couple of times.
    What you can do is a bit of reverse engineering to get the approximate RPM, which for a DC brushed motor is average 3000rpm some do go up to 5000.
    Either put 100vdc into the armature winding and borrow a tach from somewhere and check the rpm. Or rig up a some other motor that you can vary the speed of to the shaft of the one to be tested and measure the generated voltage out and tach the speed of the set up when the generated voltage equals 100vdc.
    Al.

Albert E.

Well I guess I need to build my power supply. I'm thinking of using surplus welding diodes to make a bridge rectifier. I know it's overkill, but I don't know where to get heavy enough diodes otherwise. The servos have a built in tach (7v/1000rpm) so I need to get busy.

You may still be able to get diodes from NAPA Auto parts - they used to have them for alternators - don't know if they still do.

I had a 110V small MIG machine that habitually cooked the diodes - I ended up replacing them with some larger ones that I bought at NAPA - this was probably 8 years ago, though.

Just a though - hope it helps.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Hello DSL PWR,

I Have an idea on the v groove bearings. Don't be mad if it does not work. Go to your local lawn mowing equipment center and look for v groove idler pulleys. There a little bigger than the wisecarver bearings. If you are riding the support rail like a train wheel (no side loading) they should work fine. The reason I suggested this is my local hardware store sells them for about $8.00 each which is alot cheaper than wisecarver.

Now to the eccentric bolts. I saw a really good idea for that. Take the bolt and drill and tap a hole off center in the face of the head of the bolt large enough for the correct size shaft for your bearing. You can then rotate the bolt till there is no slop then lock it down, very easy :banana:

I hope this helps
    Jimmy Southern

P.S. I would give credit on the eccentric idea but I don't remember the post.

Smile Hypertherm 1000

Well I've gone and done it, I nearly broke the bank and bought a hypertherm 1000 G3. This should be able to do 1/2 plate in production, I don't plan on anything thicker than 1/4, but I like to know I have the POWER. I've also aquired (within the bounds of the law) some motors that I need some info and help on.

Electro Craft
    Part# 0652-00-004

I also have a pile of cables with amp connectors. (2 for each motor, and a couple of trunks)

My plan is to use the 2 west amps for the X and Y, and use the stepper for the THC. I want to use Mach2/3 for the control, and rutex or gecko drives. I also plan to use Bob Campell's breakout board an THC module if I use the geckos. The only thing that troubles me is that nasty 128 count shutdown on the gecko's. For the rails I plan to use angle (like Benny). Gear rack is my first choice for the drives, and timing belts are a distant second.

It will have a water table with the capacity to handle a 5 x 10 sheet of plate.

V groove bearings
    Cam followers with ecentric studs
    Gear rack
    Spur gears
    Timing belts
    AMP connectors, and those neat little plyers that crimp the pins

I was just checking to see if you were still reading.

I hope to start sourcing this stuff soon...

Thanks,
    Carl

How does the hypertherm 1000 work. how do you turn the torch on and do you have to make contact with the metal for it to start the are. do you have to pause the torch to start the cut? I know I'm asking a lot of questions but i'm going to try the same thing this weekend.

OMG... one place want's 90 bucks for v-groove bearings! and 45 bucks for ecentric cam followers! If I can't find cheaper bearings, I'll have more money in bearings than the table!
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...light=v+groove

Well I finally got my shed to a point where I can use it.
    I've nearly completed my water table. It really sucks when you pressure up the table the 1st time and water starts sqirting out... I guess you can't expect perfection in all 120 ft of weld. THe sad part is all but one leak was in the last 20 feet of weld. I guess I need to learn to take more breaks!

I'll post some pics when I find my camera.

Quote Originally Posted by DSL PWR View Post
    Well I finally got my shed to a point where I can use it.
    I'll post some pics when I find my camera.
    Still not found that camera?? LOL

got you table going?
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

I know It's been a while since I've been on this thread, but I've been busy with work and my haas tm-1. I was about to take some pics lat night but my camera is NFG.

When I ordered my pinion gears 6mo ago I screwed up the calc in a big way. After I test run the motors I did the calcs again and my max speed would have been over 1800 ipm!! OOPS!! I just ordered the correct pinions and should end up with about 500ipm.

Well it cuts. I still need to do some things, but at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel (it's still a ways off, and may be a train...)

Here is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUJwt5Wbd1E

DSL PWR, nice job, Look awesome cutting in the water tank.

Keep up the great work and keep posting pictures.

GG

Page 1 of 2 12