588,323 active members*
5,231 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Very Basic Scale DXF Question

Question Very Basic Scale DXF Question

Hello all and thanks in advance for your patience and assistance

I am very new to this BobCAD program and thus far I am adapting fairly well. The question I have is when I merge a DXF file into v17 no matter the original dimensions of the drawing it comes in at like 300+ scale and then I must then scale it down to scale 1 in order to have an accurate cut of course. The problem is I am only seeing the ability to scale both length and width simultaneously? So how do I or am I able to scale either just the length or width of the original merged drawing independently?

Hi,

I am not familiar with BobCAD, but I had a scale problem in the past that I solved by scaling the objects prior to exporting rather than after importing into the CAM software I was using at the time. Just a thought, although you would think there would be the ability to scale individual axis in BobCAD. Good luck with it.

Steve

Thanks Steve and yea I also thought of that but in order to have the drawing at 1:1 in BobCAD I had to scale the original drawing down to microscopic size. And when that occurs it then doesn't accurately import the drawing into BobCAD A vicious cycle for sure but thanks for the input and I will keep at it as we all do

awm, You might get a quicker response at the Bobcad forum. I read a post where the Bobcad guy told someone to post there as their technicians monitor that forum.

T

Very true buscht, guess will try to post it over there as well just from what I have seen (read) they are not always the quickest to respond but I guess if I don't post they cannot respond right? Thanks for the suggestion :cheers:

Originally posted by buscht
    awm, You might get a quicker response at the Bobcad forum. I read a post where the Bobcad guy told someone to post there as their technicians monitor that forum.

T
    They monitor this forum as well and most of the moderator are Bobcad users.

Hi AWM,

I will have a look if there is a way to do it via geometry. There is a way you can do it so your g-code scales correctly. In the nc-cam setup under coordinates there is an area where you can scale the output coordinates for the g-code.

EG: If you have geometry that is a square 4" x 4" on screen you can leave the geometry as is, but get a scaled g-code output.

Under the setup _ coordinates_scale, if you set X : 1.0 , Y : 0.5 you will get g-code that will contour a X4" x Y2" square. If you set the scale to X : 0.75 , Y : 0.75 you will get g-code that will contour a 3" x 3" square. If you then want to transfer that into geometry for your saved records you can highlight all of your g-code text and under the nc cam edit function select geometry from g-code and you will have the scaled item. I will try to figure out a way to reduce the amout of steps for this process. I will also try to see if it is possible to write a script to perform the function you want. If I can do it via script I will make it available up here for everyone with compliments from the BobCAD world wide staff.
    "A Helicopter Hovers Above The Ground, Kind Of Like A Brick Doesn't"
    Greetings From Down Under
    Dave Drain
    Akela Australia Pty. Ltd.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

AWM, there must be something wacky about the units you are using in one program versus the other. Check that you are using the same size units (mm, cm, m, or inches, feet) in both programs.

There is also never any need to draw in any program with any scaling factor except 1:1 When you say the part becomes microscopic in Autocad, this has me suspicious. All part proportions are relative..........
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

CNCadmin, this ist what CNCdude told me ???

Konrad

CNCdude
    Machinist

Offline!
    Referred: 0 users
    Technical support for BobCAD-CAM software
    (Post #16 )

Dear Konrad,
    This is not the right forum for BobCAD Technical Support. My technical support personel do not monitor this forum for support issues. I monitor this forum because I care about your success with our software. Please contact support directly at 727-489-0003. We will be happy to assist you in any way we can.
    Thank you,
    CNC dude
    Use a sharp tool & cut cool !

Originally posted by Konrad
    CNCadmin, this ist what CNCdude told me ???

Konrad

CNCdude
    Machinist

Offline!
    Referred: 0 users
    Technical support for BobCAD-CAM software
    (Post #16 )

Dear Konrad,
    This is not the right forum for BobCAD Technical Support. My technical support personel do not monitor this forum for support issues. I monitor this forum because I care about your success with our software. Please contact support directly at 727-489-0003. We will be happy to assist you in any way we can.
    Thank you,
    CNC dude

CNC dude is right this is not a technical support site or a forum for support for Bobcad software, but it is a site for people with technical questions to get answers. The original post is not a support question, but "more of a how do i" question.

Rest easy, Paul. 10 replies here, none over there
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.