587,790 active members*
3,427 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Musical Instrument Design and Construction > Instrument making: split bore flute blanks (not deep boring)

Instrument making: split bore flute blanks (not deep boring)

I am looking to procure machined wooden "flute blanks" for making musical instruments. I have considered deep boring, but technical limitations now have me looking to create to flute halves that would be glued together. I would take the blanks, glue them up, fine tune the rough sound hole carving (this really has to be done by hand), and finish the flutes.

This is not for large scale commercial operation, but rather for a hobbyist with limited access to CNC equipment, or much equipment at all. So the volume would be low, and I supposed interesting to someone who is also a hobbyist or likes the idea of using the technology in a musical instrument setting.

In short I'm looking for three things;

1. Basic blank production

This would involve some design work with me, looking at my diagrams, and then producing flute halves that can be glued up. These are so-called two-chambered "fipple" flutes (often called whistles):

http://fallenbranch.com/myPictures/Flute-parts.gif

The sound mechanism on is the top, in the "nest", and a flat block is affixed over it to make a channel. It has two chambers separated by a wall. When glued up, the routed bores and wall would create two sealed air chambers, and outside nest and sound holes, and the tone holes. I think some sort of pegs/glue guide along the length of the blanks would be very useful.

The flutes would be on the order of between 20-36" long, with most flutes around 24" (big bore, longer bore mean deep notes). Then there would be shaping the wood stock into a cylinder tapering at one end, and putting some detailed carving for sound holes and finger holes in the right places.

2. Machined Wood Carvings for Outside Decoration

I have seen CNC/waterjet/laser carved wooden patterns that are stunning, and would like to provide that on the outside of the flutes. Therefore, I would need a service that can incorporate such things into the machined parts as well. Examples I've found online:
    Vector Art 3D, Inc. - Dimensional Clip Art for CNC Routing and Engraving
    http://www.masterwerkes.com/img-photo/reverse-282.jpg

Apparently, one can obtained "flat" 3D drawings and use something like Rhino to "wrap" them around surfaces for this sort of thing.

3. Production of the blocks

These flutes have a recorder like fipple channel on the outside of the flute body, which is made into a "wind tunnel" by placing a block of flat wood that is tied over the channel, sealing the air path (see included diagrams). These blocks are flat on the bottom, but are often made into decorative shapes on the top. I'd like to be able to work with a designer to get a few different block times to be machine milled as well for the flutes.

Thanks for any help!

Just to clarify, these would be "blanks" that are on the order of less than 2" thick each. Most closer to less than 1" thick each.