588,234 active members*
4,588 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 5 123

Sieg KX3 VS DIY X3 CNC

I have been toying with the idea of a small CNC Mill for a few months. It would be my 1st project of this type and my 1st CNC.
    My original plan was common buy a x3 on sale and get a CNC Kit.... Lots of people doing that with good feedback.
    A few weeks ago I found some Info on the new Sieg KX3 Machine http://www.siegind.com/cnc_machine.pdf is from Sieg themselves
    Then I found more pictures of the Kx3 here, look at the metal way covers -> http://www.machsupport.com/forum/ind...0&topic=3446.0
    I contacted Sieg and Wille referred me to Smithy - The 622 is a KX3 with a few slight changes.
    http://www.smithy.com/product_home.p...id=16&pid=1006
    When I add up the costs of buying a standard X3 milling machine the retrofitting it for CNC - Its just a few hundred dollars more for the base Smithy 622 @ $3030

Then its just set up a control box and the other stuff you would have to do with a DIY CNC Retrofit project anyway.

Any thoughts on the X3 CNC'ed vs the KX3 The oilier, way covers and a head that more suited to CNC seems to be the main advantages, and I have heard that the standard X3 head is very very noisy?

Edit Cleared out broken picture link and linked to smithy's site.

Here is the smithy specs...up to 3500 RPM..

Table Size
    6.30" x 21.65"

Work Cube
    17.7" x 6.5" x 11.8"

Horse Power
    1.33 HP

RPM 100 - 3500

Drive System
    Synchronized Belt

Machine Weight 375 lbs
    www.kosracing.com

Hmmm

Hmmm Since I have been Inquiring about the 622... Smithy seems to have removed the base option at $3030 from their pricing page I still think its availble if you ask though.
    I havent got much feedback here but I was able to contact a very nice person that has done a few controllers to get the KX3 running under Mach3. Once I find out the specifics of the Rpm control circuit I will post them here.

Just a few pics from the 622 manual - notice where the Y stepper is
    More pics can be found here http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee288/earlysb1/ for a while anyway

It looks like it's similar to the x3, is it identical? Looks like the headstock is a fixed spindle vs a quill?

Wonder if that headstock could be used on a standard x3.

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant View Post
    It looks like it's similar to the x3, is it identical? Looks like the headstock is a fixed spindle vs a quill?

Wonder if that headstock could be used on a standard x3.
    It is similar. It is a fixed spindle, has really good way covers, a lube system and the y axis motor is hid in the column unlike a retro cnced x3. Its a new mill and I'm relying on a few nice people from outside of the USA for help and info.

What happened to the CAPS! Everything is posting as lower case?

hmm when are these new Sieg CNC's going to be available here in the usa? and does anybody know their prices?

why isn't the KC6 cnc lathe able to be controlled by the Mach 3 software? I would think the Siemans control would be very expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by squale View Post
    hmm when are these new Sieg CNC's going to be available here in the usa? and does anybody know their prices?
    The allready are from Smithy http://www.smithy.com/product_home.p...id=16&pid=1006

is Smithy the only USA distributor of the Seig machines? I know that Grizzly, Enco, Syil have their own variants of the Seig machines, but I didn't know who the actually USA direct Seig rep is?

This thread was not about all Sieg machines. Its a thread about the KX3 Vs the X3. Yes other places carry the X3 - HF and Grizzly probably a few others. For the KX3 I was sent to Smithy by Wille at Sieg.

http://www.siegind.com/ Is siegs direct website email away they answer pretty fast

also, do you have any word on the new Sieg CNC lathe? I wonder if this will be avialable here too by smithy? So why wouldn't you just buy the 622 already cnc ready with the Smithy control box? does their control box not work with Mach3?

and what's the deal with the larger CNC smithy mills... who makes those? Those don't appear to be from Seig.

also, do you have any word on the new Sieg CNC lathe? I wonder if this will be avialable here too by smithy? So why wouldn't you just buy the 622 already cnc ready with the Smithy control box? does their control box not work with Mach3?

and what's the deal with the larger CNC smithy mills... who makes those? Those don't appear to be from Seig.
    I have no Idea If you want info on the Sieg CNC lathe how about posting a new thread with your questions in the correct section? Or you could just e-mail Sieg and Smithy and get direct answers. Please this thread is for info on the KX3 and the X3 DIY Retrofit. Why I dont buy spend $1700 on a Control box from Smithy? because I estimate the parts to build one at about 700 or less. If you follow the link to the Mach forum posted in the 1st post you can see thats what they did, it never hurts to take on a challenge you can learn new stuff and save a little green in the proccess.

yeah it seems that a control box is a real pain in the butt to build no?

btw.. did you see if Syil is going to carry the new KX3 with their own control box?

Ok Back on topic
    From what I have learned from a few sources -
    Smithy Ez-trol uses EMC2 -
    I think I will use Mach3
    Smithy's controller uses a proprietary breakout board board from PDMX.
    It was recomended to me to use CNC4PC's C11G multifunction breakout board that has a build-in spindle speed control to change the Mach3 step & direction pulses to analog 0-10VDC for the KX3 spindle controller.

btw.. did you see if Syil is going to carry the new KX3 with their own control box?
    Yes they are not - it would have been handy because Syil America is so close to me.

CNC4PC's new C11G revision 5 board has been specially developed for use with the new KX1 and KX3 and matches up to their brushless motor analog board for the speed control.

It just requires three wires from the C11G to their AP2 board for spindle start/ stop and speed.

ah so it seems that if you use the mach3 software with the Smithy then you are limited in some degree to spindle speed control?

somebody should just make CNC control boxes that you can use with the Smithy machine and sell just the control boxes.. it would seem that the makers of Mach3 should partner with somebody to make a cnc control box for them..

ah so it seems that if you use the mach3 software with the Smithy then you are limited in some degree to spindle speed control?

somebody should just make CNC control boxes that you can use with the Smithy machine and sell just the control boxes.. it would seem that the makers of Mach3 should partner with somebody to make a cnc control box for them..
    In the KX3 pdf you can see that Mach is offered as an option direct from Sieg. If wiring up a box bothers you you could wait I'm going to do it probably a few others too once part specs and diagrams are avalible the it might be easier.

well I build my own computers so I'm wondering if it should be much harder than that to make a controller?

KX3 Spindle Motor Control

Hi Don,

You can connect the KX3 Socket 4 (AVI, F/R, & GND) to the C11G board's analog output for variable speed control and the electro-mechanical relay for CW/CCW (M3/M4) function.

Regards,
    Weedy

Page 1 of 5 123