587,659 active members*
3,236 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > 3 axis milling operation with a chamfer mill?

3 axis milling operation with a chamfer mill?

I am trying to make a 3 axis machining operation in bobcad to mill what is essentially a V shaped channel. The included angle of this is 120 degrees so I want to use a 120 degree end mill to machine this slot. The slot is wider than the mill so it requires multiple passes.

I am trying to select a chamfer end mill in the 3 axis tool crib in bobcad but all that I can get to come up are flat end mills. The drill point end mills show up in 2 axis operations but not in this 3 axis operation. How can I get them to appear in the 3 axis operations?

thanks much
    Brian

You can use V-Carve,which is included in BoBART.
    If you have that,I can show you how to set it up.
    Can you show an example file ? .zip a .bbcd

Hi jrmach,
    I found some references that note you can only use roughing/finishing end mills in 3 axis mill operations for simulation purposes. SO what I've ended up doing is telling bobcad to mill a the surface with a .001 diameter end mill and set step over to less than half the diameter of my drill point end mill. So the simulation just shows a series of really thin (.001) slotted cuts but it should work fine if I just sub in my drill point end mill.

I have attached an image showing the part I am talking about. Basically I just want to do a planar cut with multiple depth steps along the x axis of the part so that the v groove is milled out.

I think my method above will work fine, but it would be nice if the simulation appeared properly.

I do not have bob art

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	v_block.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	227726

Yes,there are alot of ways to do what you are wanting.Would be nice to be able to change tool though,when you wanted on all tool paths.
    I suggested V-Carve,as it is minimal amount of work.Still have to do a few little tricks to make it behave right.BoBART is absolutely great.Even if not doing anything Artsy,there are many uses.This is one such use.

You could always draw it in 3D wire frame.Trig it out to find your tool path and use 3D engrave.You can use a 120 degree tool then.

Pic is V-Carve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails v carve.JPG