587,256 active members*
3,019 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Is anyone building a Solsylva belt drive table
Page 1 of 2 12

Is anyone building a Solsylva belt drive table

Just a quick question,
    Is anyone building the belt drive 64*27.5*7 inch table from Solsylva plans? I'm about 50% through them, and have a Xylotec set up wit CandNC Mini -IO -Super-Combo. I'm having some issues getting the materials for the Y axis 36" cross bar... at the moment i have it out of hardwood for prototype purposes and also that allowed me to line up the X and Z. I'm just waiting on my pulleys and belts now. I would like to hear /see from anyone else's experiences building this large home made table so we can swap ideas

Regards

Mark

i guess no one is

I guess i'm the guinepig well the build is 70 % done without paint etc all i'm waiting on is econobelt for the pullys and belts.
    If anyone wants to chime in please do

Mark

I am considering the plans. Post some pics so that we can see what you have done so far.

Jason

I to am considering this machine. When I bought my plans from David, he did not have this in the book, so I emailed him and had him send me the updated section and I have been looking them over. I agree, post some pictures and lets see what she looks like.

Bill
    Thanks
    Bill

Do a search for Coogrrr. He's building the belt drive table with some modifications/alterations.

Anxious to see pictures.

yes, me and my brother in law rick are building one. this is our first time to try and build one of these things. he is the computer guy and i'm the fabricator since i own a one man machine shop and have been doing it for thirty years. never any cnc though.all i have to do is put on the belts for the xand y and the limit switches. we're using xylotec with 425 motors and mach3
    we are having some what of a problem in that we tried to tune the motors the other day and we couldn't get them to turn at all.we finally decided to
    uninstall mach and restore the computer anr reinstall mach and tommorrow
    we are going to go at it again
    will let you know what happens
    fred

Fred, Rick
    I’m almost at the same position in the build my, belts and pulleys arrived on Monday from econobelt.com. I did have issues with my motors and set-up originally, the problem I encountered was that the motors (425oz) would stall at a slow speed (built one of the smaller CNC’s for a beta test). I tried 2 different PC’s with the same result I only resolved it by using opto isolated board between the parallel port and the cable (I used the CandCNC.com board). I think the main issue was either noise or not enough parallel port voltage.
    Keep me informed of your progress.

Mark

fred hutto
    I am considering that build also but Iwas wondering if the plans could be modified for a 5'x5'x7" set up and maybe chain drive instead of belts? any comments would be helpful

Hello Mark and ALBOR

today we got the motors running and tuned, for what we know they seemed to run good, did not have much time today. did come to realize that we think we need to install limit switches before run with belts, hopefully will install
    both tommorrow looking to put in full day tommorrow
    as for 5x5x7", i"m sure the stretched gantry would not be to much of a problembut as far as chains , i dont know , i"m still learning belts
    I"m a rookie at this stuff.
    Fred

Thanks fred
    I finally got David's e-mail straitened out. I kept getting the letters turned around. He said the same as you about the gantry and here are the responses to my other questions I asked....
    The gantry could be lengthened with a minimum of trouble but its beam
    may have to be enlarged to reduce flex. The extra weight may reduce
    the speeds at which the gantry can move as well. I see no real
    problems though; nothing different gearing or larger drives couldn't
    resolve.
    I have tried chains and they are cheaper by about a factor of 2 or 3
    but I was not happy with the results enough to pursue fine tuning.
    They add significant drag as compared to belts and when tightened
    enough to remove backlash the drag increases; there is bound to be a
    happy medium, but I have not heard anyone speak well of chains other
    than to say they work pretty well and are cheap. In a plasma setting
    they may be just the answer though, since there is less chance of
    damage from wayward splatter and the resolution of the cutting plasma
    is usually worse than the table can hold.
    The belt table's gantry and Z axes are completely made of metal. The X
    chassis is wood but could easily be replaced with metal when the
    proper tools are available. The prototype table with the wooden bed
    and X rail supports would be a hazard to use with plasma, but again,
    switching out to a steel frame with an "ice tray" grid to support the
    metal stock would be straightforward.
    Hopefully this helps!
    David Steele

I will be ordering his plans soon, review them think about it review again and try to convince myself to not get to far ahead of what this is for, Entry level learning tool that will when done correctly will provide excellent results for a small investment and provide good parts! Wish I could say I'll start posting the build tomorrow but this will be a long process for me, I will post with my progress if the thread doesn't expire lol. Just pics no video wife burnt vid cam using night shot during daytime.... ? go figure. any way just try to pass what little info i have, Forward

Mark,
    Hoe long did it take you to get the belts and pulleys from econobelt.com?
    I've been wating sence Jan. 25th.
    Larry

sdpi is not much better. I ordered Feb. 25th and for the dual leadscrew table and they just told me the pulley that is on backorder isn't expected to be delivered until April 15th. I'm thinking of just putting motors directly on the leadscrews.

I got the pulley that I order for sdpi in seven days.

Update to the build

Hello all,
    Sorry I haven’t replied earlier but for some unknown reason it didn’t tell me there were new posts in this thread. The belts took about 3 weeks to arrive then I had a short order on the 2 belts for the X- axis. I e-mailed them and they acknowledged there error within 2 hours and shipped my other 2 next day delivery no charge (I’m actually very happy with there customer support although the initial delivery time was long).
    Ok so here is the update I have played over the last week cutting air and have the Z running at 75ipm (not bad at all sounds good) the Y runs at 200ipm no issue at all now comes the fun part the X axis will run quite happy at 150ipm (although I want to re-cut some parts for the machine on the machine for the X).
    Tonight I decided to go on an adventure and cut the bearing blocks and the X axis idler supports from ¼ Hardboard and to also drill mark (not drill jut a 1/16” of an inch) all the positions for the ¼ in aluminum stepper end plate. I thought that it would be a lot more accurate than my initial attempt and it was.
    I didn’t do any circular interpolation in cutting (I manually drilled the bearing holes etc after the machine had marked the holes and cut the part). And I must admit I was rather proud of myself and the machine. I kept my feed’s down on the Hardboard to about 20ipm cutting with a 3/16 duel flute router bit
    I have noticed a couple of things during this build and test phase I would advise that all gears are either Aluminum or Steel (I have 4 plastic ones mainly because econobelt had them in stock and will reorder them in aluminum). The plastic ones are to flimsy actually one of the flanges came off in my hand before it made it to the machine. However that being said the plastic ones are performing well so far but I don’t give them a long life expectancy. The other thing I have noticed but this is not a error is I only have my flat bed laid down I wont have my T-Slot finished until Saturday so I cut my parts on a 2” torsion bed clamped to the table top. The table vibrates in the X Axis on G1(cutting speed) cutting movements I’m hoping this will be cured when the extra weight is added with the 1 ½ inches of MDF.
    All that said the plans are good and very forgiving to the builder and for a large size hobby machine, as I only intend to use it to rebuild itself then only cut Ply or Balsa for my hobby and a few customers (to make it pay for itself in the long term it’s a worthwhile investment so far.
    If you want pictures I can post but don’t laugh because it’s still in prototype stage and won’t be painted for a few weeks until I get all the kinks out and get some circular interpolation done. If you want video I can also try to post that some where with it moving at the feed rates I have so far.

Regards,

Mark

Yes pics, pics, lots of pics. Nice big ones if possible.
    A video of the machine running would also be great

Jason

A few Pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3450_1.JPG   IMG_3451_1.JPG  

Looking good...

Is the X (long axis) drive a single belt loop, or a flat belt with travelling motor, or two belts? It's not obvious from the pics on the Solsylva site, or from the two you've show so far...

Just curious, the idea of belt drive for a larger table is interesting.

Cheers, Chris

Though I'm not building the belt drive table, I have the plans and I believe it has two fixed belts on each side of the table. There is a motor on the back of the gantry(opposite side of the z/spindle) that uses a short belt and pulley to drive an axle that sits parallel to the gantry. This axle is supported by bearings on the gantry ends with the ends of the axle extending outside of the gantry. There is a timing gear on both ends that ride on the fixed belts.

Kiwichris
    It’s a flat belt (actually they were to round belts that I cut in half due to the size of the table) and the X motor is on traveling the center of the Y axis gantry with a drive shaft that keeps both of them aligned driving both X belts . I have my MDF cut for my T slots today and will install them in the morning. Let me know of any areas you want me to photograph and I will when I’m home. As I said it’s my prototype to rebuild itself and so far its doing well. But I did go overboard on my electronics this build could be done quite cheaply
    Regards,
    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12