587,665 active members*
3,220 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Used Techno-Isel $40K Opinion, others to consider?

Used Techno-Isel $40K Opinion, others to consider?

I have a manufacturing shop that works primarily with Polypropylene plastic. I am looking to purchase a 5' x 10' or 4' x 8' router to cut some of our parts with. I have found a used Techno-Isel that the current owner wants $40K for. I don't know the exact model but I believe it is similar to the current LC"X" series. What I do know about the machine:

• It is 4 years old and looks to be in fairly good condition, I have seen it is person.
    • The work envelope is ~60" x ~96" x ~11" bridge clearance.
    • It is equipped with a vacuum table, but no pump.
    • It is equipped with a 6 station pneumatic tool changer
    • It is equipped with a 15" touch screen display

My intended use is cutting plastic pieces that range in thickness form 1/4" to 3".

I know it is a vague question but is $40K "in the ballpark" for this machine outfitted the way it is?

Are there any brands out there comparable to Techno? Everything I have found is either DIY or like the Techno Premium class which is overkill for what we do.
    -Eric

For your referencing pleasure.

http://www.cncrouterstore.com/

Thank you for the link. Looking through there the price looks to be "competitive."
    -Eric

I was considering a TECHNO my self, but in my area
    they charge so much for it (new) that I simply stopped considering machines
    from them directly. I have looked at the www.cnc-step.com and www.bzt-cnc.com
    which I have posted below on, but there seems to be nobody which has any type
    of experience, or bother to discuss them, with any of these. HighZ has dealers in the US
    and are at least much more "payable" for me. If I had my hands on you´re deal and everything
    looked good, I would for sure gone for it. But I would have checked it thoroughly :-)

K

Machinery Masters has had a listing for a demo Techno RG machine for a while but have never filled in the details on it. It might give you another datapoint. You didn't mention the HP rating on the spindle that's important to the price. $40k sounds a bit high to me if it is an LC class machine. Suggest you get Techno to quote a similarly equipped new machine and find out what their support policy is for buying a preowned.

Thank you for the replies. I was mistaken it is not an LC"X", it is approximately equivalent to a current RG-5996. I say approximately equivalent because the major assemblies are the same but I see small differences in the catalog. I can attribute that to it being ~4years old. I have contacted Machiniery Masters.
    -Eric

That may be a good price but if it is more machine than you need it might not be a good deal. Have you taken a look at a new LC series. I just ordered a 4x8 LC with no ATC & no vac (plan to make my own). I got the High speed servos (800ipm) & 5hp spindle for under $26 (including a $2000 delivery fee ). Just something to think about.

FWIW: I also have a PCNC-1100

I appreciate the input. The RG with ATC and vac table are exactly what we need. The LC is too light with the extruded bridge without a reinforcement beam.

The PCNC is a nice little machine. I haven't done any true 3D yet because I have been having software issues. Nothing directly with the PCNC but the CAM software I have been using has been giving me trouble.
    -Eric

Smile Techno - Plastics

Hi 68Rustang

We are UK based plastic machinists (nylon, UHMWPE and delrin up to 2" thick).Have you bought a Techno router and are you happy with the machine? Are you sure that an Techno LC could not do the job?

Doug

Yes, I ended up buy the used Techno I originally posted about. I went back to the seller and ended up getting it for significantly less than he was originally asking. It is an RG-5996. Techno has been very good about supporting it even though I bought it used and I have been happy with the machine in general. It sounds like your uses will be similar to ours. My machine has some flex in the bridge even with the steel tube reinforcement. Not an unmanageable amount but it has to be taken into account when programming speeds and feeds.

I don't like the Techno software. If I had the time I would look into converting it to run Mach3. I wish the factory would support it but from my conversations with them they don't plan to anytime soon.
    -Eric

Hi Eric

Thanks for the prompt reply. Do you machine mainly Polypropylene sheets? What thickness do you machine and what sort of tolerances are you able to achieve?

Regards
    Doug

Mainly polypro and acrylic sheets. The thickest to date has been 2". I can hold <.010" without even trying. That is more than most of what I am cutting requires. I have cut some large 4p plastic gears that Were within .003". I use mostly Onsrud Super "O" cutters and they work pretty well. I have been fighting cutter flex and chip issues with the extended cutters though.

When I first set the machine up it was cutting egg shaped circles. A quick realigning of the bridge fixed it.
    -Eric