588,116 active members*
4,586 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

30 amp or 45 amp Powermax 45

Hello Jim

Powermax 45 on cnc table with Candcnc THC

I want to cut some 1.5mm thick 304 grade stainless,

The book tells me I can use either the 30 amp or 45 amps consumables/settings.
    Which would you use to give the best edge quality?

And any tips on the best way to cut stainless.

Thanks

ALan

To cut stainless with good quality.....you need 3 things. A decent plasma, good motion control in terms of acceleration and decelleration, and an accurate torch height control. I know you have the plasma.......but I don't know much about what else you have!

To get the best cuts on stainless....you must run the torch close to the plate and you must go very fast. Notice the speeds listed in the manual....even the speed for 30 amps is very fast....and most cutting machines will have a hard time maintaining that speed during cornering, on smal holes, and in intricate details of the parts you are cutting.

That all being said....I would suggest using the lowest power setting in an attempt to keep the speed down.....you can use Powermax30 consumables on the Powermax 45.....but I have found that running the 45 amp consumables and the machine torch shield (even if you are using a hand torch)......with the amperage in the 25 to 30 amp range....torch to work distance at .26 mm (yes, almost dragging on the plate)....you will get very nice cuts on SS......you will have to experiment with speed start at 3500 mm/minute......and try a bit faster and a bit slower. Arc voltage will be somewhere in the 65 volt range.....adjust it until the torch is just a bit off the plate.

Let me know how this works out.

Best regards, Jim