588,323 active members*
5,231 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Greetings from Melbourne

Hi All,

Just been visiting the forums on and off for the last couple of years and have been toying with the idea of building a CNC router for the shop. Well, I've finally found the motivation and am planning to build a Joe's 2006 machine.

Has anyone had success in building one of these with local materials?

I am in the process of redrawing the plans to use metric sized MDF.

I am pretty green in the world of CNC so am open to feedback and suggestions.

One more thing, what routers are people using? I can only find plunging routers which don't lend themselves to being clamped easily.

Cheers

Anthony

Hi Anthony, I only visit CNCzone once a week or so because I find it somehow time-warps me 5 hours into the future in what seems like a very short period......! Anyway, good to see you've caught the JOES 2006 bug like myself and a couple of other Aussies.
    Progress for me has been very slow, although I'm hoping to ramp it up after a house move at the end of this year (to Newcastle). I've collected the bearings (from vxb usa), some HDPE, and stepper motors. I'm finding it a bit of a challenge to source lead screws of appropriate size. There's a guy on ebay who ships some from china (ball screws) for a reasonable price, but I may have to reduce the X axis length a bit due to shipping issues.
    I'm holding off sizing all the axis until I get all the lead screws.
    I, like you, am a bit "green" when it comes to CNC so are feeling my way along a bit.
    Router wise, something like the Bosch GMR 1 might do the job? I may even just try a cheap laminate trimmer to start with? Long way to go till I get to that stage though.......... - Craig.

Hi Anthony, welcome to the Zone !!!

I use a De Walt laminate trimmer on my machine, it has served me well, I started with a cheap $50.00 special then upgraded once it caught fire (literally) I can't remember the model number right now and the shed is so far away but I think it is the only laminate trimmer DeWalt make.

I am building a second machine and will use a 3 phase chinese spindle but for a first machine it may be overkill, be careful after you get through the first build you may be addicted and start planning the next 3 or so machines

The guys in your area hold CNC BBQ's quite regularly so keep an eye out, it is a great way to meet like minded people and get lots of inspiration. There is a BBQ in SA in April that looks like being quite large as well, well worth a drive.

Cheers.

Russell.

Anthony,

Welcome aboard. I am also Melbourne based (Eastern suburbs). Would like a copy of the metric drawings when you finish them.

I have started collecting some parts for my build which will be based on the Joe 2006 design.

I just placed an order with Peter Homann for the electronics. Peter is Melbourne based. (http://homanndesigns.com)

3 x 387 Oz-in NEMA 23 Stepper Motor (SM-03)
    1 x Gecko G540 Stepper Drive (G540)
    1 x PS-01 48Vdc 7.3A Linear Power Supply (PS-01)
    1 x Latching Emergency Stop Switch (SW-01)
    1 x IEC Chassis Male Power Plug with Switch and Fuse (SW-06)
    1 x Mach3 Licence File (MS-01)

I have also placed an order with Chai for the mechanicals (http://myworld.ebay.com.au/linearmotionbearings2008/):

SBR20-950/650/300mm (6 x 20 mm supported rails + 12 bearing blocks)
    RM1605-1000/700/300mm (3 screws + 3 ballnuts + 3 end machinings)
    BK/BF12 with locknut and circlip (3 pair)

Hoping some (all?) of the stuff will be here before Christmas!

Haven't got around to working out what I am going to do for the cutter - I am leaning towards a spindle and VFD although I will probably go for a laminate trimmer type of router initially.

R/-

Grant

Update....

Hi all,

hey grant, good to see your "parts collection" is growing! How'd the progress over xmas go?

My progress was halted during my move from Melb - Newcastle but I have a nice big garage here and all the parts are emerging from their boxes to more prominant positions where I can't avoid them!

Nice buying from ebay on your behalf regarding the mechanicals. After toying for ages over similar "mechanicals" purchases, due to finance (and sheer experimental factors) I've bitten the bullet and decided to go cheaper. Sticking with the pipe/skate bearings for slides, and have recently purchased a 12' length of 1/2" ACME thread (single start, 6tpi) through a local supplier for $70. Aiming for roughly 600x600(or maybe longer) cutting area at this stage. I'm thinking of using JOES2006 design for gantry and z axis, but trying a different base table design.

Who knows where all this will lead, and could quite possibly cost me more in the long run (!?!) but I'm content to soldier on at this stage.....

Anyway, just thought I'd make a post. How's everyone else progressing?

-Craig.

Craig,

Still collecting more bits and peices. Not much progress over Christmas due to family vacations etc. I think I have most of the mechanicals apart for some of the Al profile for the gantry. I have found in many cases the best option is to build parts out of MDF and once every thing is OK to refabricate in Al. I am now collecting the electricals (most of which have come from Homann Designs) and hope to "prototype" this over the next week or so. Will get around to posting some pictures soon I hope.

Cheers,

Grant