588,385 active members*
5,314 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

24 x 48 MDF drawer slide ....

I've decided to start getting the parts to build a MDF 24 x 48 drawer slide CNC. On the 48" axis - x or y - I'm going to use 28" full extension slides and on the z, I was going to use a 10". I'm not certain what to use on the 24" axis - a 14 or 16". I don't want anything fancy, just something I can put together quick, and later I can use it to fabricate a better build if necessary.

After I get everything one that I need to get done, I'd like to be able to use it to make some crafts to sell. I haven't had the time to explore all the possibilities of a CNC router, but it seems to be endless.

thanks for any suggestions and input

any suggestions as to slide size for the gantry? I haven't ordered them yet and was going to see what input I could get before hand so any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks

I've never seen the results of a drawer-slide build, but I have to imagine that it's going to be pretty sloppy.

Have you seen the results of a drawer-slide build to make sure that it's going to do what you want?
    Gough Custom - http://goughcustom.com/

drawer-slide build

Quote Originally Posted by aarongough View Post
    I've never seen the results of a drawer-slide build, but I have to imagine that it's going to be pretty sloppy.

Have you seen the results of a drawer-slide build to make sure that it's going to do what you want?
    thanks for the reply.

I've just been reading on how to build a CNC CHEAP ... apparently the 100 lb heavy duty slides are pretty stable, but I do want something that will last, or at least last long enough until I can do something better.

I'm having a problem trying to figure out how to use the slides on the y axis where the router will be able to go all the way to each side.

Initially I was going to have the x axis 48" and y axis 24", but how I think I want to do a reversal - easier to reach 24" than 48".

Another dilemna is whether to use the threaded rod or a belt ... I like the belt because it moves smoothly, but not sure how to hook it up.

different route ...

okay, I think I'm gonna try to go a different route. I was considering the drawer slides because I didn't think I had the coordination to do the bearings and didn't know how to get the screw to go through the metal. I've seen some roller skate bearings - don't know anything about what the sizes actually are, but if I could get those on a piece of flat bar mounted on top of the gantry edge, maybe that would work. I really want this thing to work without problems.

Any suggestions would be appreciated ...

Honestly, I would recommend that you spend a month or so reading CNCZone every day and seeing what other people are doing before dropping a bunch of hard-earned cash on parts.

I went with a Fireball V90 kit plus a CNCRouterParts G540 kit in the end and I have been quite happy. If I was to do it again I would but a CNCRouterParts 2x4' CNC kit and be done with it.

Beware that usually 'small' and 'cheap' will leave you feeling you want much more when it comes to CNC.

-Aaron
    Gough Custom - http://goughcustom.com/