587,659 active members*
3,286 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > HUGE project file after I import simulation results as workpiece

HUGE project file after I import simulation results as workpiece

I'm sure it's not an unusual thing to want to do. I'd like to use the machined result from one "project" (operation) as the workpiece for a later project. I want Sprutcam to know what machining has already been done so I don't waste time waiting for extra operations that are not needed. Here's what I do:

I. First operation. Import the model and machine the first face.

1. Import IGES file (.igs extension) of my solid model.
    2. Setup a local coordinate system such that the origin is at the right(X), rear(Y), bottom(Z) corner of the workpiece. (The model has the origin somewhere in the middle of the part. I'd like to make it easier to setup the part in the machine, and I'd like to reference the same point, if possible, in subsequent projects so ultimately the features on all the faces align.)
    3. Save the project using a descriptive file name. This project represents the first machine operation.
    4. Go through the normal process of adding machining operations in SC's "Machining" tab. Simulate the operations, debug, and do all the usual things.
    5. I've reached a point where I'm happy with the results of the first operation. I've even run this much on the machine, and I'm happy with the results.

II. Second operation. Import the model and machine the second face.

1. Import IGES file (.igs extension) of my solid model. The orientation is as if I'd taken the one from above and flipped it 180 degrees in the Y axis. Put another way, flipped like turning a page in a book.
    2. Setup a local coordinate system such that the origin is at the left(X), rear(Y), top(Z) corner of the workpiece. This is the same origin point as the first operation's, only the sign of the Z-axis has been reversed.
    3. Save the project using a descriptive file name. This project represents the second machine operation.
    4. Go through the normal process of adding machining operations in SC's "Machining" tab. Simulate the operations, debug, and do all the usual things.
    5. The second operation looks good, and I've even run it on parts resulting from the second operation. Everything lines up beautifully.

So far, so good. I've simulated, debugged, and even run parts that I'm happy with. But I've only done 2 faces, and I need to do 6. (I'm starting with a rectangular block)

to be continued...

-Mark

Well, I understand that a better way to do all this is to use the machined result from one operation as the workpiece for the next operation. I'm learning here. So:

III. Second operation, new method: Use one machining result as a workpiece for a subsequent setup.

1. Go back to the first project, fast simulate all machining operations.
    2. "File-> export -> export simulation results..." and save it to a file.
    3. New project.
    4. Go to the model tab, select "Part". Import IGES file of the solid model.
    I realized that setting up a local coordinate system (LCS) might not be so simple when dealing with both an imported IGES and an imported workpiece. This should be no big deal, and I don't think it relates to my problem. I'm just being complete here.
    5. Use the "transform" function in the model tab to orient the part the way I want it.
    6. Select "Workpiece" and import the ".stl" file of the exported machining result from before.
    7. Use the "transform" function in the model tab to orient the workpiece to line up with the part.
    8. Save the new second operation project file.

I'm starting to think this is clever, and really the way I should have done everything to begin with. The part and the workpiece line up and look ready to go. But things are running REALLY slowly. (The machine is Windows 7 pro, SP1, 64-bit. Running on Intel i5 @ 3 GHz with 8GB of RAM. Not the best, but no slouch, right?) Now it takes 20 seconds to switch between the "model" tab and the "machining" tab.

I save the project, exit SC, and restart it. Everything is still painfully slow, so I look closer. The project I just saved is 137MB in size, and I haven't even added any machining operations yet. Doing it the way I originally did it, the completed project files for the 1st and 2nd operations were always around 8-9 MB. I also notice that the .stl file for the exported simulation results from earlier is 48MB. I can understand things being considerably slower if the project file is now over 10 times the size of the earlier projects, but is this to be expected?

So, is there a better way? I'd attach the project, but I don't think it will fit. Also, I don't want to be responsible for crippling someone else's computer.

-Mark