588,212 active members*
4,393 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > CNC Tooling > Pratt & Whitney, what JACOBS taper are on holders?

Smile Pratt & Whitney, what JACOBS taper are on holders?

Yup, still a chip sweeper. and lovin' it!
    We got another machine in a couple weeks ago. Wanted to see if it really worked as good as the previous owner said. Been makin' chips from the second day it hit the floor, with no problems! Cant beat that!

Tool holders are notlike any I've seen (fortunatly it came with all needed holders). Again this is an older Pratt & Whitney Tapemate w/6M-B control. the tool holders are 30 taper (with a pull stud), and have a large bearing in them to retain them in the tool changer.

It has three extra holders that I'd like to buy good chucks for. They have a tapered stud on the end. How do I find the size ? JACOBS? What series? Looked in my machinist handbook but couldn't find anything (20th addition if that dates things a little).

Any help directing to a jacobs taper chart or something would be cool.......

Also, is there milling (set screw type) holders availible for this machine?
    The ones in it are long. If you know of this type of holder let me know!

here's the page out of my machinery handbook
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jacobs tapers.JPG  

Look at that! Good information from good people!
    Best regaurds Karl T,
    Mitydr

Still looking for iformation on the special holders for the machine.
    Look to be CAT 30 but with a large bearing to retain them in the tool changer.:stickpoke

Try Cincinati Milcron, they took over all Pratt-Whitney tooling. I was suprised how they responded to my request for info on a 50 year old Tool room lathe,
    They were very good at getting me a part that I would never believe existed..

Adobe (old as Dirt )

Thanks Adobe Machine, I'll give them a try.
    Here is a pic of the tool holder (a few weeks ago before I put it to work).
    Collets are af 75 series (which is nice because everything else in our shop uses them). I'll post a photo of the tool removed from the changer tomorrow.
    You'll see what I mean about "different"!