588,510 active members*
4,991 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

First Gecko setup

I've been reading for quite a while now, and decided that Geckodrive is the way to go for me.
    I'm buying a cnc flat bed mill wich is normally equiped with stepper motors and a weird custom controller. I'm goint to buy it without controller or motors and put my own (that I still have to buy) stuff on it. I really want servos and the Geckodrives.

But from what I understand, you can just hook up the Geckos to the parallel port and make it work with Mach3 (for example). But what if I need more than 4 axis? Isn't the parallel port limited to 4 axis?

I then thought of adding a G-rex, so I have 6 axis support and only 1 cable (usb preferred). I also have a bunch of I/O ports I could use. But then I can't use Mach3 anymore, as it only supports parallel port.

So what can I do? Is the G-rex really needed? I think a USB controller is better if I look into the future, Serial/printer ports start to disappear and I'd like to keep using my machine together with an up to date computer.

Thanks

Mach3 has a G-Rex G100 software plug-in. Connection is via Ethernet.

Mariss

You have several options with Mach3. You can use two parallel ports to control 6 axis, you can use a G100 as Mariss mentioned via Ethernet, or you can use an ncPod via USB http://ncpod.oemtech.com/ The Mach3 plugin for the ncPod is almost finished. A Mach3 plugin for PCI Galil cards is also being developed, but I'm not sure how many axis those will support, and they are somewhat expensive.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

2 parallel ports

You can buy PCI card to add a second parallel port. Seems like the lowest cost route.

You won't be sorry buying the Geckos. They are the best value out there and the support is the best you can get at any price.
    mike

Thanks guys.
    If I would do it with 2 parallel ports, I'd need 2 PCI cards as I don't have any parallel ports on my desktop. But all my PCI slots are either used, or I can't use them because fans block them.
    So a USB (or ethernet) connection would be great. And the IO ports on the grex are a plus as well.

I will have a look for the other ones mentioned to see if they suit me better. I didn't know there was a plugin for the grex, because I couldn't find it.
    The only difference between the G100 and the G101 is that it's not in a nice case, right? If I'm going to put it (everything) in a nice case myself, I might as well take the G101 and save some money.

And if I'm using 2 servo's on 1 axis, I know I need 2 geckodrives, but can't I just split the wires coming from the G-rex, so 1 output goes to 2 drives? (with or without amplification). That way, I won't lose an axis.

Btw, does geckodrive only sell on their site? Or do they have a dealer somewhere in Europe as well? That would be a lot easier.