587,999 active members*
2,585 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Centurion IV rs232 setup

Centurion IV rs232 setup

Hello,

So I got my machine hooked up with single phase power and can program and cut parts using the controller, but I can't get a computer connected to it. I have read all that I can find on the internet for connecting a computer. I have tried a null modem cable, and making my own cable. I have tried Hyper terminal and a program called dnc server. I set the settings at 1200, 7, 2, even, x on x off and also with a 600 baud rate. I can't get any interaction both send files from the computer and sending to the computer. Hopefully someone can help. The only other option I have is the tape drive, no floppy. Thanks

Kinda working

Ok, so I got a new cable and used all the recommended settings and it almost work. I can receive a file from the machine in both hyper terminal and dnc server . I can't figure out how to send a file to the controller I have tried preparing the file to send then doing a g55 comand and also doing the g55 command then hitting send in hyper terminal and dnc server, both ways nothing happens both say waiting for remote start. Any suggestions?

You need a % sign at the begining of your program and at the end of it.
    % G90 G80 G40 G100 G17
    ETC
    ETC
    M2
    %

To upload from PC to CNC:
    at the CNC, MDI G55 enter, start

Go to PC and send program.

Windows 95,98,and ME have the old Terminal program from Windows 3.11. I used it to
    send and receive programs when first setting up my Centurion IV. My machine won't work
    any faster than 600 baud.

good luck
    Ben

I was using everything as you just mentioned but it would still not do anything. Yesterday as I was working on it a little more I believe the computer fried. I get no interaction and no visual on the screen. I checked all the points I know with a multimeter and they all appeared fine. I guess I am putting a new controller in sooner than I thought.

Check the simple stuff first, ie . power, your power supply, sticky or stuck buttons,
    the e-stop etc.
    My cycle start button gave my machine fits for a very long time, causing E-stops,errors,
    failure to grid, programs freazing up and weird monitor problems.
    If you are getting the servos to energize that would sound promising. If you've been inside any of the cabinets especially the control, you might want to open everybody
    up and make sure connections are good and look for anything fried. One thing I do about
    these controls is something very simple (cycle start button) can cause some very
    weird reactions.
    If you get this sorted out and the control is useable I'll email you some software that
    will communicate with it. I remembered this morning that HyperTerminal would not
    work for me because it didn't have a setting for 600 baud.

good luck
    Ben

Year I have checked power coming in and out of all fuses and transformers. They all get power, there is an LED that is on inside the black computer box but I am not getting any readings coming out of the wiring, nothing on the control panel area is working.

I think I am going to just scrap the controller and go with something new. Since the controllers were replaced about 6 years ago I think I am going to try to go with an EMC2 based system. I will use the amps and either a setup from mesa electronics or vital system.

Is this posible that the RS232 IC chip is shorted due to lightning or the machine to near fluorescent lighting? All setting corrected per OZTURBO, BEN directions, and there were no communications or had communication on CNC to PC only.

Can someone help locating the RS232 IC (sending and recieving chip) Part numbers on the logic board (Part listing)?

I don't have access to Manual.

Thank a lot.