588,228 active members*
4,593 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > OneCNC > Machining 3D Surfaces

Question Machining 3D Surfaces

I've been using OneCNC series 2000 v 4.36 since February of this year and am generally pleased. I am, however having trouble every time I try to machine either 3D curved solids, (lofts, etc.), or true surfaces generated in SolidWorks, (my current CAD software). The problem manifests itself as either curved surfaces interpolating into a series of flats, (usually big triangles), or features visible in Solidworks being missing or not accurately reproduced in the cutterpaths generated by OneCNC. This doesn't seem to be a problem unique to OneCNC, since several outside shops have complained about not being able to "read" the surfaces with their CAM software. All of these shops use MasterCam.

I had a problem like this on another project earlier in the year and contacted OneCNC tech support about it. At that time they mentioned that the Rhino surfacing software package would make the SolidWorks surfaces more "readable". I also saw mention of this strategy in their latest sales mailing. I have the demo version of Rhino that allows you 25 saves. What exactly do you do with the SolidWorks models? Do you just import them into Rhino and save them to "fix" the surfaces, or is there more to the story?

Another question: My controller requires a leading zero for single digit feedrates, (F05.0). OneCNC displays this as F5.0. Is there somewhere in the post that I can set the leading zero so that I don't have to edit the feeds manually?
    Mill-o-rama

Hi Audiosears

Have you registered at www.onecnc.net yet? There is a forum there where the masters participate, and might shed some light on your advanced problem.

I would be glad to discuss the issue on cnczone, except I don't have any answers for you.

I suspect that you might not be using the optimum method of creating your surfaces. Even though they look okay, and surface okay, there can still be problems due to some technical detail of your construction methods, or the type of surface you chose to create.

This is fresh on my mind lately, so pardon me if I have insulted your modelling skills . I personally have blundered my way through several models and thought I was getting a grasp on things, but I have discovered that I have a lot to learn yet.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Audiosears,

I don't know how much help this will be but here goes.

Did you know that there is an update to Mill 2000 series ?
    It's Mill 2003 and it is free to all Mill 2000 owners. I don't know exactly what is updated in this series of software, so I would suggest that you contact OneCNC and get this update.

As far as the Rhino question, maybe you could ask Tec support when you call in about the update or post something at the Rhino or Solidworks forums. Sounds like something to do with the way Solidworks exports an IGES file.

There is a way in Mill2000/2003 to get a (0) after the F in the feed rate, but it will place it after all F's not just single digit feed rates. So if you have a feed rate of 100 it would look like this "F0100.00" I don't know if that is acceptable with your controller. But it is under "Nc Setup> Advanced setting> then where it says "Feed Fate(%F)=" insert an 0 after the F in the dialog box. ( it really does say "Fate" not "Rate")

Then again you could always update to the OneCNC XP series of software.

Well looks like I'm slow to the draw as Hu has posted already.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Guys,
    Here's an update:

Did some checking this afternoon and you defiantly need to get the Mill2003 update as the Iges translator has been improved over the Mill2000 you are using. By this I mean that you are probably using a "newer" version of Solidworks and the Mill 2003 translator is more suited to handle the later Solidworks Iges export.

OneCNC is a Solidworks Partner and they exchange stuff back and forth. This allows them to work together and find solutions to issues like the one you are experiencing. Which the update addresses.

I would suggest you call Onecnc and get the update and put this issue to bed.

You should be "Good to Go" after the update