587,998 active members*
1,957 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Gecko too strong !?!

Question Gecko too strong !?!

hi there i would like to know if the geckodrive.com has any step
    controller that could control my step motor

i have a question : i went to www.geckodrive.com to have a look.
    and in there spec. they say that the gecko module give 24 to 80 VDC
    and 0.3 to 7 Amp

my problem is that my motor take 7Amps but the voltage is 1.67 VDC isn't it a little to
    strong for my motor

second quetion i try to control one motot then with a drive (not a gecko) but the logic output wasn't good by that i mean the motor was like fighting him self. the Output was 2 by 2 ===> 1 0 1 0 ===> 0 1 1 0 ===> 0 1 0 1 ....

and i think i need 1 by 1 ===> 1 0 0 0 ====> 0 1 0 0 ===> 0 0 1 0...

what do you think ??????????? (will the gecko be able to do that )

anyways here what is written on my motor (6 wires)

superior electric

synchronous/stepping motor

type mo92-fd-310 200 oz.in.

200 step per. rev.

1.65 V. 6.8 A. DC HZ
    spec. BM101025

65 *C rise class B insul.

Quote Originally Posted by k-linkz
    second quetion i try to control one motot then with a drive (not a gecko) but the logic output wasn't good by that i mean the motor was like fighting him self. the Output was 2 by 2 ===> 1 0 1 0 ===> 0 1 1 0 ===> 0 1 0 1 ....
    and i think i need 1 by 1 ===> 1 0 0 0 ====> 0 1 0 0 ===> 0 0 1 0...
    You probably need something like
    1100-0110-0011-1001-....
    or
    1000-0100-0010-0001-....
    Stupid questions make me smarter...
    See how smart I've become at www.9w2bsr.com ;-P

Voltage is not a problem. The drive will take care of everything. Your power supply should be as high voltage as possible to get the best motor speed.

The motor seems surprising weak for something that draws 7 amps. Before you buy a drive, you should first verify that it is not some odd-ball 3 phase motor. They're not compatible with any regular drive. Try sending an email to geckodrive.

Weird. I understand what you are saying. It's the sequence stepping of a stepper coil. Could a wire be reversed on a coil?

Ref:
    http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~ih/doc/stepper/control2/sequence.html

When the specs say a drive (Gecko) will drive 0.3-7A with 24-80V, it means it will send 0.3-7A to the motor, depending on the setting you choose. It needs at least 24V input from the power supply to work.

It's like if you have a car with an engine that have power enough to drive up to 250Km/h. But with your accelerator you can keep the speed at any speed lower than 250Km/h to keep safe. The current setting is like your accelerator. The engine size like the supply voltage. One says how much you will use, the other how much you could use.

With 6 wires, your motor is probably a unipolar motor.

what is the diffrence between unipolar (is my motor can turn clock wise and unclock wise)

i open my motor to have a look in side (6 wires ) and (8 coils !?! wtf ??)

i m even more lost the before

i"m going crazy here :banana:

DON'T OPEN THE MOTOR!!!!
    At least not if you want to use it later. Some motors may not have a problem, but stepper and servo motors with magnet technology of today will loose most of their torque if you take the rotor out of it. So don't do it unless you know it will not damage it.

Measure the resistance between the wires without opening the motor.

Hi K-Linkz,
    Steppers with six wires have two center-tapped coils inside. Center-tapped? Yes, each coil has three wires-one on each end, of course, and a third tied to the middle of the coil.

To use this type of motor the middle wire, or center-tap, of each coil is grounded. The remaining four wires are connected to and disconnected from a positive voltage by the drive electronics in the correct order. Reverse the order and the motor runs the other direction.

Typically four transistors are used as switches to accomplish this. Current only flows in one direction through the windings. This is a unipolar setup. For these you need to purchase or build a unipolar drive.

Other motors only have four leads and two windings. They work by passing current through the windings first in one direction, then another. For this to work the electronics is different. Eight transistors are used to make a pair of circuits called H-bridges. There is one H-bridge per winding. These reverse the polarization of the coils to make the current flow reverse. Because of the need for two polarizations, these are called bipolar setups. The Geckodrives are bipolar drives: they require a four wire stepping motor.

I don't want to make it more confusing, but there are eight lead motors too. These can be wired in different ways-they can be either unipolar or bipolar. So an eight wire could be used with the Geckodrives.

Hey! I just found a link posted by another member to a site that describes stepping motors in detail. See Control of Stepping Motors
    If you find this usefull (as I did), thank Esjaavik; he posted the link in another thread.

Well after all the humanlly possible connection with the wires testing
    still didn"t work. I think it the chip sequence ( i want half/full stepping choice and back/foward) so i would need a chip that could provide my
    1100-0110-0011-1001-....
    or/and
    1000-0100-0010-0001-....

right ?

thanks by the ways for all your explications and times :cheers:

you must hook it tostep and direction soft ware

Did you hook it to step and direction ????You must be new set the software right it takes alittle tinkering