588,234 active members*
4,726 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Need techniques for flipping part, continuing

Need techniques for flipping part, continuing

I am looking for how you guys would mill a part, then flip it up at a right angle, then continue with other machining. An very simple example to illustrate:

when making a new mounting block for a 1" shaft that will hold X travel bearing blocks

1. route out a 1 diameter hole in a 2" x 2" for shaft access
    2. route out a recessed bearing mount hole to support 1/2" threaded rod
    3. route hole for threaded rod to fit in while sitting in bearing
    4. route slot at end so 1" hole can be compressed with se screw

5. flip the part up, drill and thread mill hole to insert set screw for tightening the 1" shaft.

Using a vise to hole the part vertical for the drilling and tread milling has been requiring manual Zeroing of a sharp tool on one corner, then drilling. This is not as cosistent as needed. Any suggestions on a method? I suppose a jig foe each part could be done fot consistancy.

Very simple, use an edge finder

Fixturing works but can be costly.
    I like to use the 4th axis and rotate.
    Otherwise you have to pick each part up manually; as you are finding this is the slowest and least accurate method - but also the least expensive.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Also you can use a test indicator in a dogleg to find the center of the hole (the center of a shaft IN the hole actually, then move over and find the center of the block with the same setup. assuming the setscrew is in the center of the hole and the center of the block both :-)

also instead of an edge finder you could use what they call a "pickup chair"...it holds onto the edge with a magnet, and you indicate a hole in the device, this hole is right on the edge of the part by design.

Bill