588,525 active members*
4,361 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Stepper driver selection

Stepper driver board
    Hi guys
    I'm part way though a small CNC project that I started so I could learn a bit more about the process. I've played with computers, lathes and mills over the years so now I want to learn to combine them. I joined the Perth Artifactory as I don't have a home work shop, the guys here are good but I like to get info from a range of sources before I filter this and see what makes sence to me.
    Hi all
    I started to build my version of a 3D printer, I got side tracked while using the CNC router to cut some of the pieces for my printer... I've now decided to make it into a light duty router so I can learn the procee before I start on a full size version.

Can anyone recomend a cheap simple driver setup that runs from USB? I'll be using vcarve generated files and Mach3. I'm ok with the hardware side of things but could do with a bit of help selecting the right electronics...

I have this post on another forum on this site with no replies so I've posted it here as well. Too many forums to chose from.....

I'm sure there will be many more questions so thanks in advance.

Dave

Can anyone recomend a cheap simple driver setup that runs from USB?
    Running via USB requires external hardware to generate step and direction signals, which makes it more expensive than using the parallel port.
    You basically have a couple options.

1) Mach3 with a Smoothstepper or KFLOP. $325-$425
    2) Planet-CNC 140Euros
    3) Eding CNC Starts at 220Euro

You'll still need drives, motors, and power supply with any of the above.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by 4lowie View Post
    Can anyone recomend a cheap simple driver setup that runs from USB? I'll be using vcarve generated files and Mach3. I'm ok with the hardware side of things but could do with a bit of help selecting the right electronics...
    Adding on to what Gerry said USB driven hardware is a bit more expensive, I have selected the Smooth Stepper Warp9 Tech. Design - Home of the SmoothStepper - Home, to control my set up.
    There are pros and cons to every set up, and each person's setup may not suit the next person, so one suggestion I'd make here for you to start from is type into your internet search engine "USB Motion Control" also do a YouTube search of the same. There are quite a lot of products out there and also check here in this forum or what ever forum you're a member, to see who's using what hardware and their advantages and disadvantages.
    Another suggestion to you is to download/read the PDF specs from suppliers and you can then also familiarise your self with the jargon.
    Here's a few links to where I got all my 4axis CNC control Hardware and before my purchase I read the PDF's and checked here for advice. Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor Driver,CNC Router, Stepper Motor Power Supply, Stepper Motor Kit, DC Servo Motor, Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor Driver, CNC Router, Stepper Motor Power Supply, Stepper Motor Kit, DC Servo Motor, Keling Technology Inc, USA, CNC4PC, Warp9 Tech. Design - Home of the SmoothStepper - Home.

Another very good website G0704, here there's reams of good information and photos, and this chap also posts here and is vere knowledgeable.

Good luck with your project.
    Eoin

Thanks for the help... So what exactly do I need, the motion controller and what else...... What's a break out board?

yeah familiarising yourself with the jargon can seem a little bit daunting at first:drowning: but after a while believe it or not it just flows. Again one suggestion is to create a folder on your desktop for all your new CNC information (Pdfs, websites etc..) and at any time you can retrieve it. I have a folder just for shortcut icons to web links alone.

Any way a breakout board is a printed circuit board that acts as a buffer between your PC and Motors, Motor Drivers, I/Os (Input Output Devices).

and to answer your question a normal setup is as follows if using the USB….toolpath/post processor software (V Carve in your case), Mach3 (as you named), Motion Controll device (Smooth Stepper), Breakout Board, Motor Driver, Motor.

Good luck with the project:cheers:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Eoin

Using a add on parallel port card is a cheaper solution then buying the add on hardware to convert USB . For sure with a desktop, for a laptop you would need a free/open express or pcmcia port . New Egg has a pretty good selection. You can get them on Ebay for really Cheap via a slow boat from china.
    Newegg.com - Laptop Add-on Cards,parallel port card

Does anyone have any experience on this all in one board?

CNC 3 Axis TB6560 3.5A Stepping Motor Driver Controller | eBay

Good or bad....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4lowie View Post
    Does anyone have any experience on this all in one board?

CNC 3 Axis TB6560 3.5A Stepping Motor Driver Controller | eBay

Good or bad....

Thanks
    Take a look here...
    How I fixed my Chinese TB6560 controller (updated)
    http://liana-tech.com