587,300 active members*
3,173 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Who's using solidcam?

How many folks are using SolidCam to cut parts?

I'm doing a bake off between Mastercam and SolidCam right now. I like SolidCam in terms of UI and Usability, but I'm concerned that now many people are using it.

Obviously loads of people are using Mastercam around here. I like designing in SolidWorks, is SolidCam a viable solution (in your opinion)?

I converted from Mastercam to SolidCam 3 years ago (I'm running SolidWorks).

Here are the good points:
    I love the UI, and its easy to design toolpaths,seamless interface from CAD to CAM, multi part setups are a breeze, (you can put coordinate systems on in SolidWorks, prior to launching SoliCam). None of this Cplane, Tplane Top View stuff,yes, I have seen the improvements, but for the doubters, see how much easier multi faced setups are in SolidCam

Bad points:
    -really poor (almost non existant) customer support (mostly lip service).
    -inexperienced, non motivated tech support ( we had to write our own post, because SolidCam could not supply a 3X Fagor 8055 post).
    -not as flexible as Mastercam ( we still have 1 seat of MC V9.1 level 3 mill and Lathe). A good example is when I want to keep the tool down on a profile, or if I want to change the toolpath at a point to jump over a clamp.

If MasterCam could work within SolidWorks (just like SolidCam) I'd go back in a second......also the tech support is Excellent, with a huge knowledge pool (like this site), and lot's of free proven posts.

Go with the company that demonstrates the best technical support.

regards

Cam1, thanks for taking the time to respond to this.

The support/training issue was one of my concerns. I've found on-line training, local instructor-lead training and books published specifically on Mastercam. None of that exists for SolidCam.

It's a tough call.

You probably know the Mastercam is going to have a SolidWorks add-in "real soon now" -- it feels like it's 6 months out still. What I understand from the rep is that it is limited in terms of the toolpaths in the initial release, and is essentially the same product (good and bad) hosted in SolidWorks. To me the point of running in SW would be to take advantage of the advantages of that environment.

It's also going to be a different product -- Current MC users won't get it without buying a new seat for just that product.

So far I've been able to make both of them cut the part I'm working on (in external simulations using metacut).

Our machine will be here in a week or two so I need to make a decision soon. Maybe I should wait until after westec.

Joe

CAM software

What types of parts are you machining 2D, 3D or 5 axis?
    To give a good opinion we need all the facts.

Thanks,
    Randy

3 axis at this point. Some 2.5 certainly, but mostly 3D parts with surfaces.

This is an oil filter mount we make already (as a casting). The fins are all tapered on the faces. The sides of the body are vertical. There is an obround boss on the back.

I figure that there are 5 setups to do this part. This one, the opposite side, one to do the mount holes in the obround boss on the back, one to do an angled hole on the back, and one to do the inlet port on the side.

Joe
    Crime Scene Choppers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails solidcam_v1_setup.jpg   of_results.jpg  

Hi Joe,

Your part looks pretty straight forward and if you like to have cnc machining automated then I suggest you look at VX CAM.

VX provides automated tool path generation with template building to save your logic. It has full collision avoidance for clamps and vises and easy to use rest roughing and finishing and of course it associative to model changes, even imported files.

I would work with you to set up the software, make sure you are happy with your post. We could do training on line or depending on your location you could come to Erie,PA where we have a school set up to train. I could also come to your shop.

With motorcycle design you need a powerful modeler for importing images for customization of the design model and the ability to model anything easily then machine it. VX would be a good choice for this design to manufacturing need.

Let me know if I can be of assistance.
    Best Regards,
    Randy
    www.greatlakes3d.com

JMC: try this link: http://www.solidcamsupport.com/index.php?action=kb
    There are some good tutorials here on SolidCam.
    Take your time when making your choice.
    Just another suggestion: It's a very competitive game in the CAM business, ask for 30 or 60 day trials with fully functional software. Ask for post processor files for your machine(s), then try them out on your applications. If you were going to spend 15k on a used car, you would test drive it right? So, put the the ball in the CAM sellers court. With a slowdown in manufacturing coming, they should be very cooperative.

regards

That's what I did, I got 30 day evals for Mastercam and SolidCam. I was able to program parts in both. Since I use SolidWorks already I'm leaning heavily toward that. Honestly, Mastercam is the "safe" choice, there are enough people using it that I'm confident it will do whatever I need. There isn't that much cost difference -- if you need to get solidworks too the cost is about the same for the two.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by cam1 View Post
    JMC: try this link: http://www.solidcamsupport.com/index.php?action=kb
    There are some good tutorials here on SolidCam.
    Take your time when making your choice.
    Just another suggestion: It's a very competitive game in the CAM business, ask for 30 or 60 day trials with fully functional software. Ask for post processor files for your machine(s), then try them out on your applications. If you were going to spend 15k on a used car, you would test drive it right? So, put the the ball in the CAM sellers court. With a slowdown in manufacturing coming, they should be very cooperative.

regards

I agree (shame that SolidCam cannot provide the support), go with the package that
    is the most popular, you won't regret it.

regards

Hi Joe,
    I would gladly give you a 30 trial with VX. We have proven posts for your Haas and many others. VX Machinist costs $6K, annual maintainence and support contract is $1200, we advertise our prices so there are no games.
    You will need to let me know when we can spend an hour or so to get started. Email me direct and I'll provide the link to download the product or provide a mailing address.
    VX is a proven product, I have used it for over 8 years. I have many successful companies using VX.
    We are an American company based out of Melbourne, FL. All tech support is done in America.
    It's your decision. Look at Victory motorcycles, Polaris is gaining ground on Harley. Sometimes people get tired of paying for a name and realize there is a better choice out there.
    Let me know if you decide to try VX.
    Best Regards,
    Randy
    www.greatlakes3d.com
    [email protected]

Hi!
    I must say that tech support on SolidCAM here in Scandinavia are excellent. I think in US there are problems but SC are growing and it will be better. If you ask me I'll never go back to MC...
    The POST are very easy editable and when running internal POST it's lightening FAST !
    I'm Running SolidWorks + Solidcam R12 (beta) with HSM.

BR
    /Piobaire

Hi: The European support is very good, here in Canada it is very poor.
    No support= no business. Yes, I prefer SolidCam over Mastercam, but it's no use having software without the technical support.I needed a simple change made in the Post , that requires a list of variables from SolidCam (toolpath transformation variables), and I was told it would be 2 weeks, as the North American technical support is presently in Israel. I practically had to write my own Post.

regards.

i agree i to went with solicam over mastercam and the suport has no been what i was told it was.still waiting for the 64bit version the solidworks has had for years

Axis:
    I guess we can co-miserate and co-operate at this forum.Who needs that stinkin' tech support anyways (overrated).
    I dont have a problem with the software as much as I have a problem with getting the info I need to tweak my post.

regards

Hi Cam1!
    What parameters are you looking for out of SC to get the POST-tweak´n done ?
    What POST (GPP and MAC) and machine controller are you using right now and what do you like to do ?

BR
    /Piobaire

Thanks Piobare:
    I'd like to use the Transform functions ( Rotate and Array) for 2.5 or 3 toolpaths.
    Presently we have a Fagor 8055Ia CNC control on a VMC. We run in Imperial units.The post I have started as a Fanuc, and was initially configured by SolidCam.This provided us with the basics (2.5 and 3X surfacing). I added the drilling,tapping and Boring cycles, and cleaned up the post by annotating , organizing, and de-bugging.

The crux of the technical difficulty is that I'd like to use the canned cycles G73 and G61 (please see attached file for the required syntax ).Unfortunately the Fanuc portion of the post code looks like this:

@change_ref_point
    ; Given in absolute mode
    gcode = 10
    {nb, 'G'gcode, 'G91 L2 P'home_number ' X'xhome, ' Y'yhome, ' Z'zhome}
    {nb,'G90'}
    end

I spoke with SolidCam today, and they agree that ideally a user would be able to leverage the benefits of pattern arrays, the key now is how to get it to work.
    I think to solve this problem, I'll need to be passed the variables that are used to build the linear array within SC, such as Delta X, Delta Y, number of repeats in X, and number of repeats in Y. I'll also require some variables to use the rotate transformation (angle and number of copies).

In any case, SolidCam contacted me and offered to find a solution.They also apologized for the slow response time on the technical support. They said that they are in the process of establishing a stronger Technical support network for North America.
    This will be good news for all SC users.

thanks for the support
    Attached Files Attached Files

SolidCAM USA Support

Hello fellow programmers,
    My name is Jim Appel. I am a Senior Applications Engineer for SolidCAM. I am Chicago based but offer support for all regions of North America. SolidCAM has been the fastest growing CAM software solution in the world for the past 5 years as detailed by Cimdata http://www.cimdata.com/press/PR06-0620.htm
    Here in North America, we have been aggresively adding qualified, experienced, and knowledgeable individulas to our whole array of SolidCAM Support Staff, be it from sales to tech support.
    I started using SolidCAM when I was the Tooling Supervisor/Programmer at my prior employment. I used SolidCAM for 2 years before joing the SolidCAM Team. My experiences as a SolidCAM user is what initially made me decide to join the SolidCAM Team. I never had any support related issues while being a SolidCAM user. In fact I was impressed by the respnse time for the few questions I had over the 2 years of using SolidCAM.
    We will; provide support in all aspects, deliver support in a condusive arena;
    and do what ever is needed for our customers to be confident and successful in using SolidCAM.
    I/We look forward to meeting, as well as working, with all exisitng users of SolidCAM, as well as future users of SolidCAM.
    Best regards,
    Jim

hey jim appel where is my 64 bit opperating system that everyone at solidcam has been telling me is come out if your a senior app engineer you must know. tell me the truth and i will be happy. i dont care if its 6 months just dont tell me its next week if its not going to be. i just spent alot of money on a new 64 bit cumputer i cant use cause someone told me next week for sure.

Guys,

I've been working with Jim as I went through the eval process on CAM software. He knows the software and is very responsive -- and he is part of the reason I decided to go with SolidCAM over MasterCAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Appel View Post
    Hello fellow programmers,
    My name is Jim Appel. I am a Senior Applications Engineer for SolidCAM.

x64 version of SolidCAM

I was recently at a show and a SolidCAM reseller told me it would be next fall, about the time that SolidWorks 2009 comes out. ?? Don't know if this is accurate but that's what I was told.

Quote Originally Posted by axis View Post
    hey jim appel where is my 64 bit opperating system that everyone at solidcam has been telling me is come out if your a senior app engineer you must know. tell me the truth and i will be happy. i dont care if its 6 months just dont tell me its next week if its not going to be. i just spent alot of money on a new 64 bit cumputer i cant use cause someone told me next week for sure.

Page 1 of 3 123