587,401 active members*
3,561 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Wink Sieg X3 Milling Machine CNC Conversion Project

I have been working on converting my x3 mill to CNC and just started to develop a web site to document the process. The site is far from complete or far from perfect. But I got some pictures and notes and ideas down.
    If anyone is interested you can check it out at:
    http://www.rlberg.com/CNC.htm

Let me know what you think!
    Thanks!
    Bob

Well done.

It looks real nice to me...

I will be interested in how your servos turn out as I bought a set "Just Because"

Garry

I'm going to be in the same boat as you, I get my x3 next week.

Very nice

Nice machine. Ichecked them out as I was starting on this journey but whats up with the "out of stock" at lathemasters. That and shipping costs made it out of my league. I went to the local HF store and got a 9x20 and a 33686 for 1500.00 both with a extended year warranty and no shipping. At the time it seemed like the right thing to do. Anyway, Im init up to my elbows now so here goes....
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Bird, any chance I can get you're drawing file of the mill? BTW you're pic on you're site are TO BIG, it forever on a cable modem to download them.

Drawing File

Sure,
    I will send you the file(s). I will try to do it later today. What format would you like them in?
    Yes, I know my pictures are WAAAAY too big. I need to fix it when I get some time. I have just finished all the mechanical work to the mill and have started on the controller.

So far all the ballscrew conversions are as smooth as silk! I have gain some travel in Y even with a preloaded screw!. I lost about an inch in X and gain about 1.5" in Z". All with 5/8 preloaded screws.
    Bob

Excellent, what did you use to model it? Can you send it in STEP format?

Solidworks

I did all the modeling in solid works, Yes I can send a step file(s).
    Bob

Bob. Isn't your X axis motor going to bump into the column when the table is far left and the Y is moved toward the column?
    Nathan

No, it won't

That's what is nice about using solid modeling, I can move the whole table to the extremes to make sure I have clearance. I don't have much! But it won't hit. In fact after the ballscrew modifications I will have a little more travel in Y then stock and still have clearance for the servo.
    Bob

Are you planning to run coolant? That might still pose a problem for that motor.

Sorry, to be a pest but it lust looks like an odd arrangement to tuck the servo behind the table like that.
    Nathan

No Coolant

I don't plan on running coolant. I'm not planning on doing an high production or anything, just hobbiest machining, with air blast cooling and or a hand squirt bottle when needed.

I currently work as an IT guy at a molding building shop, we hardly ever use coolant even in a high speed machining production shop, we use all tain coated carbide cutters.

I always thought that the designs I have seen with the motors hanging out front always looked strange and seem that they would be always getting in the way and subject to abuse and getting knocked around hangging out front. Thats why I tried to keep them tucked away. Time will tell!

Bob

Lightbulb Y Axis tip

Just an FYI.
    Anyone looking to convert the x-3 and wants to tuck the y-motor under the table like I have, make sure you have enough clearance between the belt and the Y-axis ways. I used a 1 inch spacer plate that my bearing plate bolts to. This allowed me to keep the pulley's a little further out in front of the machine so that the belt doesn't hit the ways when the Y-axis is at its extreme position. Just something to watch out for, I almost missed it.
    Bob

Bird, the only problem I see with tucking the motor is that your going to want to make a nice waterproof enclosure for it, especially if your using coolant of some sort.

Jon

Web site pictures

I have reduced the size of the pictures on my page so it should load much faster.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I'm also starting my X3 conversion using the same clifton motors. Which type/model/Part# of encoder did you use? I think one end of the motor shaft is 5mm and the other is .25".

If possible, can you send me your Solidworks file.

Thanks

jim
    www.embeddedtronics.com
    [email protected]

Conversion updates?

Hi Bird_E,

How is the progress on your conversion? Have you finished? I will be getting the same mill hopefully in June with the next shipment. Then I will be starting on my conversion. Would you be able to send the solidworks files to me? I would like to start making hardware before it gets here and that would be a real big help. Have you been able to make any cuts yet? I am really interested to see how this machine does contouring.

Great job on the conversion.

Chuck

- www.carvejunky.com
    - [email protected]

Talking Just Starting X3 vs Taig

I am in the process of building a CNC router and I immediately found the need for a CNC Mill; maybe I should have started with the mill first.

I am currently looking into the Taig and the X3; which would you recommend?

Do you have any advice about the converting either of these to a CNC?

Do you have any pictures of your work?

Thank You for your time.

Tim
    [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12