588,323 active members*
4,777 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Boss 8 Table Motion (Machintek)

Hi George,

Picked this reply of yours out of a past post. "Put the machine in a slow feed rate. Does it move smooth? If not the motors may need brushes or cleaning."

Table on my BOSS 8 does not move as smoothly as I feel it should when I machine at feed rates, works OK in rapid moves. Mill is used 75% of time for drilling holes. Checked the brushes on the X-axis, small brushes seem quite long, large brushes seem short. Can you give me a ballpark length on large brushes?

Right now I do not wish to remove and clean motors as I have several weeks of drilling to run on this machine before I can shut down.

Thanks, for you advice, Jim

The BOSS 8 series 1 used powertron motors.
    The series 2 used SEM motors.
    If my memory is correct.

I do not have data on the inside of the Powertron motors.
    I can look up the SEM When I get back to my office or check with the only company Bridgeport used to repair these which was CLARKSON.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks George,

Checked motors a little closer. Z-axis is Powertron, Can not see label on Y-axis and X-axis appears to have been replaced. Found label plate which someone had covered with black duct tape long ago. Duct tape and oil, Yuk! Carefully peeled tape off, the motor plate reads CSR, division of Cleveland Machine Controls, 2600 Liberty Ave, Pittsburgh PA.

I'll try getting some info from them. If I get any valid info I'll post here.

Thanks, Jim