Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
Having 7I92 support means the computer no longer needs a card mounted inside of it making it possible to use a small form factor computer. So the requirements were small form factor, dual NIC’s, compatibility with LinuxCNC and good latency. Yeah, one could forego the dual NIC’s & use WiFi but I much prefer a hardwired connection.
I went a similar way but for a different reason. I was concerned about a possible ground loop that might cause problems with my modifications. This is eliminated when using the 7i92H. I considered going for a small form factor but I use quad backplanes https://www.amazon.de/Backplane-2-5Z...FSAS+BACKPLANE on both my development and shop machines and just swap drives between them. I can swap the drive on my shop machine for a test version in a few seconds with absolutely no risk of screwing up my productive installation. Installing a second network card was also no problem and with the small form factor I would have lost the ability to ... well, I don't want to spoil the fun!

So the only difficulty I ran into was with the dual NIC’s used on the Shuttle DH110.
In the course of these changes I used the built in interfaces of 2 different machines, a PCIe card and a USB to Ethernet adapter with no issues - perhaps I was just lucky.

Finally I changed the boot process to boot into the desktop, created a PP desktop launcher, adjusted the display resolution to that of the monitor native resolution, setup networking, updated the system and installed my desktop applications. Now I have both PP controller and desktop all in one.
What! You're not using dual monitors? I keep all unnecessary stuff off my shop PathPilot controller - I don't feel the need to turn it into a desktop. I'm less concerned about enabling the beep than I would be about installing all manner of desktop apps. That stays on my laptops.
Step