587,214 active members*
3,495 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question CNC Router Frame

Hi guys, there is some great reading on this forum. I have a question, I know it is sometimes viewed as bad etticate to start off with a question but that is what brought me here in the first place.

I have been tossing around the idea of building a CNC Router for many years now. I have now come to the conclusion that I don't want to build one from scratch for my first one. I am thinking of buying the frame HERE and then adding the motors, controller, etc as I see fit.

It seems to built the way I would like to build one for my use and is the right size. Does anyone have any experience with Blacklab Machines? I have been watching his auctions for a while now and they seem to sell at least two a week. Obviously, I know that it will make for a more expensive machine but right now I don't have the time to build from scratch.

Thanks,

Matt

Maybe the picture is not good enough to see, but it looks like the entire Z axis and motor is only sitting on two shafts for support with no back plate. This would make the Y and Z axis very loose and not be able to cut very well.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

You're right that is the way it looks. It should have some structure to tie the sides in to make it more rigid.

Thanks for the comment.

C'mon build one from scratch. It is not that hard. and you will learn a lot. Besides you have a bunch of people right here eager to answer your questions.
    co

Originally posted by yukonho
    C'mon build one from scratch. It is not that hard. and you will learn a lot. Besides you have a bunch of people right here eager to answer your questions.
    co

I really would love to but right now I just don't have the time. I will build one in the future, after I find out what improvements I can make and what I really need after running it for a while.

One of my major concerns is that if I screw something up i my haste, I will get so annoyed that I won't do anything with it. It will be enough for me to integrate the motor, controller, etc. on this first one.

I do know what you are saying though...

What controller have you decided on? I have just retrofitted my cnc to Mach2 using Gecko 201's with micro stepping and I couldn't be happier! Price is $150 for the Mach2.

Mike

ps no affilation just a happy customer
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.