587,777 active members*
2,906 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > PCB milling > Buy a 3040 or not? And which one?

Buy a 3040 or not? And which one?

Hello,

A few years ago I was looking for a fast way to make PCB's and I thought that a CNC milling machine would be a good way to fast have results.

Everywhere I asked the answers were all the same: DON'T BUY ONE.
    These days I'm wondering of it wouldn't be a good idea to buy one.
    Things have changed, techniques are improved?

I was looking video's on Youtube and some guys mill decent PCB with these machines.
    How are things these days for people like me that want to make fast prototype PCB's with no high tech components?

Is there anyone that knows how good a PCB you can mill with these cheap Chinese machines?
    I want to keep under 1000€ (1300 US$).

How fine are the traces you can mill with these machines?
    There seem to exist various types of the 3040 (NEW TYPE!!!!!) :-)
    Which one is the newest?

I want to make PCB's not bigger than 100mm*160mm (Eurocard) (3.9inch * 6.2inch approx).
    I'dd like to make traces as fine as 12mil.

Am I dreaming or can this be done with these machines?

All information is welcome!

Re: Buy a 3040 or not? And which one?

For making prototype PCBs, I would use chemicals, but then you're not getting soldermask or silk screen and it's not easy to get doublesided boards (no thru-plating). Now instead, I just get them made in China. It takes a bit longer, but I get professionally made PCB with thru-plating, soldermask and silk screen and I don't have to mess with the chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by Stigoe View Post
    For making prototype PCBs, I would use chemicals, but then you're not getting soldermask or silk screen and it's not easy to get doublesided boards (no thru-plating). Now instead, I just get them made in China. It takes a bit longer, but I get professionally made PCB with thru-plating, soldermask and silk screen and I don't have to mess with the chemicals.
    Thank you, but the reason that I asked this is that I like to make things.
    If I want difficult PCB's I send them to China to let them make it.

But my question is: can a 3040 accomplish this?
    Can it be used to make PCB's with small traces?

Which of the 3040's is the newest? The best?

Thank you

I am using a Chinese 6040 router.
    5mm/turn ball screw with a 200step/rev stepper motor can do a 0.025 mm (1/1000inch) move. Use a 0.1mm 30deg
    cutter will be ok for milling pcbs.

Software Eagle for circuit to board design. Check the Eagle ULPs, there is a board to g-code converter.
    The g-code is for Linuxcnc (EMC2), control the 6040 router, for pcb best spindle motor is a 40000 rpm 62mm water cool, with a 1000HZ vfd.

Making small number of pcb for test and change design and mill again is good for diy.

Quote Originally Posted by ktchk View Post
    I am using a Chinese 6040 router.
    5mm/turn ball screw with a 200step/rev stepper motor can do a 0.025 mm (1/1000inch) move. Use a 0.1mm 30deg
    cutter will be ok for milling pcbs.

Software Eagle for circuit to board design. Check the Eagle ULPs, there is a board to g-code converter.
    The g-code is for Linuxcnc (EMC2), control the 6040 router, for pcb best spindle motor is a 40000 rpm 62mm water cool, with a 1000HZ vfd.

Making small number of pcb for test and change design and mill again is good for diy.
    Ok thank you.
    The hardware you mention, is that modification from what it delivered with?
    My first goal was to buy one and try and learn, it is not my goal to modificate the machine in early stage.

Just the average, through hole PCB will be fine to make with this machine.
    But some websites suggest that you can make traces as fine as 8mil?

I have Eagle on a Windows machine, I just need a USB/parallel cable.

But I don't seem to get the newest version out of the range I see on Ebay.

Small dia cutter need more speed, standard setup running 24000rpm reduce routing speed.

Mach USB/parallel cable does not work, either use XP and a real parallel port, or USB to a smooth-step board ($$) running the real time part outside the computer.

Linuxcnc now under Debian 7 and rtai realtime, drive a real parallel port works fine.

A simple USB-parallel adapter will definitely not work, but if you don't like/have a proper parallel port you can also just use the GRBL controller (grbl/grbl · GitHub) via USB on any Arduino Uno compatible board - that's what I'm using (also on a 3020 by the way) and it works fine even for PCBs for me - this is the sort of result I get: View image: PCB3 (100 mil pitch header/ 50 mil SOIC)