588,240 active members*
4,439 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Potential Issues

I have recently purchased a cnc mill that came with a Mitsubishi Freqrol-A024 Variable frequency drive (2.2 KW output) to control the 3 horsepower 3 phase spindle motor. Now i know that most VFD's can be run on single phase power and that it will output around 2/3 the total rated power of the motor but i'm wondering if there are any potential problems with running it on single phase instead of 3 phase.

Basically im wondering if:
    1.) will ANY vfd will run on single phase or is there a chance i will blow it up?
    2.) would i be better off running the vfd from a surplus 3-phase motor that tacks on the 3 leg of power - even if i didn't balance the phase and voltage outputs (ie: if i made a rotary phase converter with a pull cord and a normal motor and then just ran this straight into my VFD). Would this be better or possibly worse without the voltage and phase being regulated?

Thanks.

I'm running botha monarch 10EE and an Excello CNC nmill on VFD with single phase. No problems.

I was told that the derating isn't even necessary in the smaller drives. My 10EE is a 5 hp VFD and a 5 hp spindle.

Karl

Three Phase is almost always better than single phase..

Get / Make a phase converter... There maybe other things you will need it for also.

Just my 2 cents.
    Murphy

So does this mean that running any small vfd on single phase power will not damage it?

Most VFD have plenty of protection in them, some (vary rare) need three phases to run, All the mitsubishi I have used you can run on single phase up to around 5hp.
    Most have a preference on the input terminals for the single phase input, on mitsubishi it is R S of RST terminals.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks for the help. i think i might end up going with a rotary phase converter becuase i need to run some other 3 phase machinery