588,684 active members*
5,814 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Store front aluminum channel ?

Does anybody know of a internet site that sells the store front aluminum channel that is utilized in the John Kleinbauer cnc designs. I purchased a set of his plans for the "Phoenix", and am having bad luck in finding the stuff so I can get my project rolling. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I remember a website a few months ago that sold parts for DIY machines. They carried the channel used in Johns plans. Unfortunately I can't find the site again. Try searching for aluminum channel, cnc parts and Kleinbauer.

Talking found the parts

John emailed me the internet address that sells the parts.

http://www.electronicutopia.com/inde...arget=d45.html

Another possibility, which I ran into at a builder's supply store in Milwaukee, is patio door track. It would mean revising many of the details, but it could be made to work and appears it may be stiffer.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/N2DRVSH?PMSECT=1303

MSC sells 80/20 T-Slotted Extruded aluminum rails, and all of the 80/20 accessories!

80/20 is an easy way to throw a prototype together!

Hope this helps!
    Eric

Does anyone know anything about the usability of this company's controller boards? Has anyone used them? (Single Axis Stepper Motor Controller SAUSMC179) If I used these controllers to drive the steppers from an HP Laserjet III printer would they be usable if I upgraded stepper motors in the future? Thanks.

Rance

Quote Originally Posted by Bzooka
    John emailed me the internet address that sells the parts.

http://www.electronicutopia.com/inde...arget=d45.html
    Well good for you. I bought Johns plans and about all I got out of him was grief. II also had problems locating the channel and what I did find was enough different than his that I had to change al lot of dimensions on other parts. I also paid more than that for the stuff I finally found locally. All in all the unit I built performs well for a starter I haven't got to play with it near enough. I built the 7th sojourn. I am glad to hear someone is making the parts available. It would be nice of John would post a link or maybe he has recently.

I bought john's plans too and made my own sojourn machine. *Edited here by Kong* I revised my tray design to use bearings instead of square hunks of plastic.

I did manage to learn a great deal and it was worth what I paid.

---

Anyway; I found a supplier for the store front aluminum in camden, NJ. I found this store by driving up to every WINDOW frame and supply store around my usual driving routes and asking them to buy some scrap. After about 5 stops to different shops, I was eventually pointed to this place and was given some free scrap.

After I returned 2nd time I was charged, but I asked for a 6' rail; and the price was fair.
    WWW.RAIDGEAR.NET - FFC cables, foam headset replacement parts, and other gadgets.

Quote Originally Posted by DrStein99 View Post
    I bought john's plans too and made my own sojourn machine. *Edited here by Kong* I revised my tray design to use bearings instead of square hunks of plastic.
    I realize this is a super old post. Do you have any photos of using bearings on window channel? Thanks.

Scott