587,998 active members*
2,296 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas mill stops moving when using tool offset and cutter comp

Angry Haas mill stops moving when using tool offset and cutter comp

I wasn't sure how to title this. What happens is when I use cutter comp and apply a tool offset while machining a pocket the mill just stops moving when it reaches that portion of the code. The spindle is on, but the axis don't move at all. It will stay like that all day until I hit the reset button. If I remove the tool offset it doesn't do it.

Machine is 1998 VF0E

It is NOT the program. I have two other Haas mills and they can run the same programs without the issue.

My dealer suspects it might be something in the processor. He has not looked at it yet.

Anybody have a clue what it might be?

Try increasing your tool comp lead in distance. I had an early MiniMill that did something similar when the lead in distance was nearly equal to the tool radius.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

We have four VF2s with various versions of software on the controls.
    I have more problems with cutter comp on the newer versions of software.
    In some cases, programs that run on the older versions will not run on the newer.
    I sent an email to the factory and asked about this.
    The response was that the newer software fixed issues relating to cutter comp.
    MY response was that if I can run a tool and program on an older software version, but not the newer, then nothing was really "fixed".

I'm going to try updating the software. They can update for free as long as I stay with the same primary version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by Machining View Post
    I'm going to try updating the software. They can update for free as long as I stay with the same primary version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    ...with all due respect to the dealer.....

We've had some interesting issues with newer controls using Wear comp.... input a value, and nothing changes... We're still trying to figure out what the real issue is so it can be addressed.

For your problem, just to help sort out where the problem is, in normal cutter comp, make sure that your lead in when initiating the G41/G42 is greater than the radius, and ideally it's around 90deg to the machined edge so the control can calculate properly. I haven't had this problem so much on the Haas, and using wear comp I've gotten away with things that normally wouldn't fly. We have noticed though that different Haas controls seem to have different idiosyncrasies.

I've had a few controls that required me to initiate the offset above the part, then move the spindle down to start the cut when doing pockets or in tight spaces.

Hi,

What CAD/CAM software are you using?

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]