587,275 active members*
3,712 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Multiple parts from piece of stock question

Multiple parts from piece of stock question

I need some help with this please,

In X3 I have one part and all the toolpaths done and it is perfect. Now I find I need to set it up to make this same part (multiple copies) from one piece of stock.

I do the "drag" multiples and place them on the stock but the question is, how do I apply the toolpaths from the first one to all the copies while keeping their offset locations on the stock ?

I expect this is relatively simple but until now I've never needed to do this and have a "mind blockage" on it.

Thanks,

Steve

Try "transform" toolpaths. I haven't used transform much , but use its sisters, mirror and rotate frequently. You may need to play with it to get output the way you like, there are a lot of boxes to check and uncheck. Save frequently!!

Can't you just change the offset at the machine, and run the same program multiple times?

Quote Originally Posted by Toonz View Post
    Can't you just change the offset at the machine, and run the same program multiple times?
    Of course, that's what I'm doing now but the idea is to set it up correctly and let it be making multiple parts while I'm working on other jobs in the shop.

Picture a laser cutter or water jet cutting many, many identical parts from a single sheet of stock.

Sorry, I forget that not all machines are like ours. We can drop multiple copies of a program into our control board and it just goes. Takes an addtional 30 seconds or so at the setup/initialization of the program, after that no operator intervention is needed.

Ahh ! it's done with nesting !

I think I have it now.

Tell me if I'm going down the wrong path.

That's the general idea. Rather than nesting and programming the same part multiple times. Just program it once and nest the program.