588,477 active members*
5,543 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Titanium and Magnesium

I have did a search on theis forum for these two subjects. what there is is good but limited. I would like to know more about machining these two metals. I would like to use TiNi coted HSS tool bits for these two metals. Is that ok. And what kind of coolant. Should I use flood coolant for both and I would also like some basic cutting parameters for these two metals and whatever else that would help. Thanks, Mike.

For tit. the carboly 883 grade insert is the best, at least it was when we did lots of tit. we cut big flanges and shrouds for APU's.
    Tit. work hardends really easy go slow rpm with alot of feed. will cut real nice chips

I was wandering how the TiNi HSS tools would fair with Mag and Tit. I have small features to machine and the indexable tools that I have seen so far dont go to the size I need. Would like to get an idea of some machining parameters and coolant recomendations for these metals. My first time. Mike.

what type of small feaures? I assume this is milling?
    I don't know cause I never use high speed only carbide and indexables, I personally wouldnt waste my time with higspeed in a cnc lathe or cnc mill unless I was running plastic or running a screw machine.
    flood coolant works best we use hangstefers s500 , I use there new one now and love it but its expensive. $165 for 5 gals.

if your turning you can get down to a .008 rad and even a .004 rad
    if your milling you can get small carbide mills just as small as you can highspeed.
    when cutting tit. go by your recomended speeds and feed and cut it back 20% on the spindle speed and 15% on the feed rate.

When we had big jobs of tit. 24" dia rings and 50-100 piece we would change our coolant to a special one ( I dont remember the exact name but it was white in color and we used it on the grinders as well all the time) we used it due to tool life that was saved otherwise it was just the s500.

on the mills we mostly used a cutting oil for them as they got lots of scallops.
    if you have more specifics it might be easier to help.
    Can't help you on mag.

Wink Machining Titanium and Magnesium

Hanita, Jabro, or Guhring all make some awesome tools for machining these. There are others out there as well. Careful with the magnesium-- fire hazard big time. Proper coolant is a must with both of these materials.
    What size do you need?

www.singlesourcetech.com

or email me and I can help with tool selection and applications assistance.

Dlw and Silverfox. Thanks for your help. I am machining Rads down to .0625. I have never machined these meatals before and was wandering how coated HSS would work on these metals. Oh by the way this is milllng. I guess solid carbides are the way to go but what kind. Also I guess a non water based coolant is the way to go for Mag. I just need to know all I can before I start scrapping parts. This is new to me. Done mostly steels and alluminum. Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by besc View Post
    Dlw and Silverfox. Thanks for your help. I am machining Rads down to .0625. I have never machined these meatals before and was wandering how coated HSS would work on these metals. Oh by the way this is milllng. I guess solid carbides are the way to go but what kind. Also I guess a non water based coolant is the way to go for Mag. I just need to know all I can before I start scrapping parts. This is new to me. Done mostly steels and alluminum. Mike.

email me with some specifics and I will try to head you in the right direction.

Silverfox. Need to know your email address. The link above in one of your posts takes me to a web sight but have no way of contacting you. My email is [email protected] thanks Mike.

Silverfox. Would like to continue this converstation. would like to know your email address as doing it here could cluttoer up the forum. Or whatever way you want to do it is fine for me. Mike.

Tin coated will be ok for the Magnesium but for the Titanium make sure the HSS is HSS Co cobalt or forget it.I would use Carbide for both.As for the Coolant.Water Soluble is fine for the Titanium but dont use it for the Magnesium unless you want to chance a Major fire.For Magnesium we drain the sump out and fill with pure cutting oil.Trim makes a coolant for Magnesium I believe but I think its only available in Europe.

I could give you some cutting parameters if you state what kind and size of tools your going to use.

There is a very important thing with titanium: The fire like magnesium.

I've seen a begining of fire in a machine tool with cutting oil. It happen when you use cutting oil.
    THe coolant must be water solube oil.

The tool: Always carbide without coating. You 'll pay the coating for nothing. There is no increase of tool life. That's why the Sandvik insert for titanium are without coating.

Yes use Water Soluble for Titanium.As long as you run it within the correct parameters and keep an eye on the tool you shouldn't have to worry about fire with the Titanium.
    You don't want Water Soluble for Magnesium.Water makes Magnesium burn even more.It's like pouring gasoline on a fire.Thats why you can't use water to put a Magnesium fire out.You have to use a special Chemical extinguisher.

I didn't say use Cutting oil with the Titanium,only Magnesium.

i like to rough titanium with cobalt roughers with the black coating(tialn). i run at 50 sfm. carbide for finishing. 1/2 em about 2000 rpm and 10 to 15 ipm.
    neither material reams well but if you must you can use carbide with ti. i have not tried reaming mag with carbide but it is a disaster with hss of cobalt.
    also mag cuts close to aluminum speed. and ti runs more like medium tough stainless.

Thanks for all your help guys. Been away for awhile. Now guess what? I need some info on cutting clear polycarbonate (Lexan). Im thinking the first thing I need to worry about is bumming up my tooling. Is this a lgitimate worry and if so how do I prevent it. Any info welcome.

By now your probably wandering " Who is this guy". Mike.

one thing i learned about drilling plastic is slow the speed and raise the feed.
    for a 1/4 to 1/2 drill try about 2000 rpm and 15-20 ipm feed peck .05 to .08, keep the chips clearing from the drill. the second the chips start wrapping around the tool the material will begin to melt.

I here you. The first time I drilled plastic thats exactly what happened. I had to throw the drill away, and the part. Im guessing that along these same lines that you have to use high feed rates for milling as well? Cant find much machining data in the books I have. Mike.

Milling Titanium and Magnesium

I would use a 3 Flute x 50 Degree helix SC endmill TIALN coated for milling the titanium. I would run it at 80- 120SFM and the chip load will vary with the DOC. (radial). Run an air blast with this and it will work well. As others have mentioned, be careful with the mag as it will start on fire.

Lexan

Depending on the thickness, I would consider H2O jet cutting it.