588,658 active members*
5,884 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Which driver to use? There are so many!

Which driver to use? There are so many!

Hello,

I just bought a D&M 4s mill (sherline mill) and have been researching what drivers to get. There are so many different choices I would like some suggestions.

To start, the steppers are Vexta 2 phase, 1.8 degree/step, 5.4VDC, 1.5A
    I need 3 axis control, simultaneously. Also, spindle control, and at least an i/o for future expansion (I plan on getting that slick automatic tool changer for the sherline).

Alex

So, your choices are Rutex, Gecko and a couple of others. Will you be adding a 4th axis or just use a toolchange command (probably 1 or 2 I/O pins)...check which breakout boxes and software supports what you want. I know the Campbelldesigns.com breakout box provides additional I/O.

May I suggest http://www.hobbycnc.com/driverboards/driverboards.htm for your diver board?

Dave Rigotti

i say hobbycnc for best price if you can solder and deal with that type of work. if not then xylotex . But both boards will not compare with performance of the gecko stepper drive at the voltage of your steppers but you will have to pay alot for that performance.

I wouldn't spend the money on Gecko's, unless you were going to get some motors that would utilize them better. Another option is the boards from here: http://www.embeddedtronics.com . Soldering required.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

When selecting drivers, take a look at the faceplate of your steppers. Look for a driver able to bear the amperes of the faceplate and from 10x to 20x the voltage of the faceplate. In the not-so-technical side, better if the manufacturer have a good record for customer service, and so on.

I agree with Gerry about the geckos, but if you decide going for good components they are the best imho. And for sure will move from your current machine to your next machine for a couple of years

Hope it helps

/F

main reason i said he would get better performance with gecko is because of the 10x-20x rule he will only be able to get maybe 6x with other boards. This will limit your rpm but not to much. but my guess like the other guys this wouldnt matter because im sure this isnt a production machine and wants another couple of mins compared to 500 bucks hehe :P

Quote Originally Posted by sendkeys
    main reason i said he would get better performance with gecko is because of the 10x-20x rule he will only be able to get maybe 6x with other boards. This will limit your rpm but not to much. but my guess like the other guys this wouldnt matter because im sure this isnt a production machine and wants another couple of mins compared to 500 bucks hehe :P
    Hmmm.. 3V 3A 200oz-in stepper with a HobbyCNC driver board at 44VDC is 14.66 times. Well over the "maybe 6x with other boards"

Dave Rigotti

for sure there are steppers that work nice with other boards. but this guy has a 5.4 volt steppers unless im wrong im not knocking the other boards In fact i own one controlling my 4axis.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for the great response, and after only one day. Before I got to see the messages I thought of an idea which I'll get to in a moment. One individual wondered if this was for hobby or manufacturing. It is for manufacturing, although small stuff. I need to make molds for plastic enclosures for our products.

What do you think of this?
    I noticed that each axis has it's own bipolar chopper driver. The steppers are unipolar, but wired to the drivers as a series bipolar. This wiring setup increases torque by a factor of 1.414. Add to that, the added performance of the chopper drivers, and to my understanding this machine already has a good drive. There is a dip switch for turning on/off the: Sync ???, full or half step, C.L. ON (current limit??), and current (2A, 1.5, 1.25, .6). A four pin connector goes to the motherboard, it has it's own PC inside looks like. The connector has pins for -,+,C (? step or dir),D (? step or dir). It is 5vdc at the + and -.

No it doesn't have 1/20 step, but this is a start. Everything else is wired already so this seems good. As I don't know which C or D pin is step or dir, is it ok if they were backwards on the initial guess hookup?

I have been looking at the DeskCNC 2nd gen controller and think it would be the way to go to complete things. Well?

Happy New Year,
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by cn00728
    Hello everyone,
    I have been looking at the DeskCNC 2nd gen controller and think it would be the way to go to complete things. Well?

Happy New Year,
    Alex
    I'm using the deskcnc 2nd gen board on a servo system and it runs very well, runs very fast and smooth BUT I'm not liking the software for machine control.
    Most of the function you can only get to by using a mouse, the feed override control is backward, + produces a slower feed rate and - produces a faster feed rate, that should be the other way around. You can only home using switch if you want repeatability. For the money and the fact that on software does it all it still can't be beat IMO. I relly do like the cam side, it's stright forward and easy to use. It would be nice if one could use a pendant for overalll control of the software.

i think gecko and xylotex are pertty good.