587,694 active members*
3,727 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Rabbit laser Resolution & lasercut 5.1

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 4060SE Laser. Could anyone confirm what the resolution of the machine would be. I can't see it in the manual.
    I'm told it's 800 dpi. Would I find the information in the LaserCut 5.1 software.

Also, does anyone know how I could install more fonts in the Lasercut 5.1 software.

Appreciated

Dave.

Hi Dave,

I can't help with the resolution question but regarding the fonts in LaserCut, my ver. 5.0 reads all the fonts I have installed in Windows XP. If you want more fonts in LC, install more fonts in Windows.

If you go to the Control Panel in Windows and click on the Fonts icon, it should show all the fonts installed. Those should all be available in LC. Also look in the C:\Windows\Fonts folder. Maybe all the ones in there aren't installed yet.

If you have Corel Draw, install the Font Navigator from the CD. It's also a handy tool for installing fonts.

HTH,
    Skip

I can almost guarantee you won't be able to achieve 800 dpi with that machine... 800 dpi is 1.25 mils, and you'll be doing quite well to get double that. If you're using the optics that came with the machine, I would expect something much closer to 5+ mils of accuracy.
    Hi-TecDesigns.com -- Automotive Lighting Systems

Hey Guys,

Many thanks for the responses.

Skip, thanks for the info. I have the font navigator and have just put it to good use. I managed to install a load of fonts from my other PC which included a particular one i needed.

Thanks MacGyver, I thought 800 dpi was way on the high side. If I remember the 800 dpi figure came from some of the machine presets in Photograv.

Any idea how I could find out exactly? I would like to get the res of the graphics to work at best with the machine.

Thanks again

Dave.

I would make a black box and set your dpi to various settings... start at 100 dpi and increase in 50dpi blocks until you hit 400 (probably quite a bit more than the machine can handle). Make the box about 20 pixels.

Once you've rastered at each setting, look at it under a magnifying glass and count the dots. You may have a difficult time separating the dots on higher resolutions as they'll overlap. Some overlap can be useful for image quality, depending upon image type. Once you start overlapping, though, you're essentially hitting the limits of resolution for that machine.
    Hi-TecDesigns.com -- Automotive Lighting Systems

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I would make a black box and set your dpi to various settings... start at 100 dpi and increase in 50dpi blocks until you hit 400 (probably quite a bit more than the machine can handle). Make the box about 20 pixels.

Once you've rastered at each setting, look at it under a magnifying glass and count the dots. You may have a difficult time separating the dots on higher resolutions as they'll overlap. Some overlap can be useful for image quality, depending upon image type. Once you start overlapping, though, you're essentially hitting the limits of resolution for that machine.

Thanks again MacGyver, I'll give it a go.