587,854 active members*
3,817 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Pulsar spindle power?

Hybrid View

Pulsar spindle power?

So I have been seeing some stalling of my spindle servo during tapping and facemilling. I wasn't sure if this was because I am more aggressive with the mill or something else. I am able to grab the spindle with my hand and stop it. The belt isn't slipping - I can just overpower the spindle servo.

Any ideas if this is normal? I don't think I have superhuman strength.

Re: Pulsar spindle power?

Something is clearly wrong, as the Pular spindle has nearly the same power as the Torus Pro Spindle, and there's no way you're stopping the Torus Pro spindle by hand, even at 50 RPM.

First thing I'd do is get a list of all the driver settings from Novakon, and compare them to yours. Perhaps one or more of them have somehow gotten changed. If that finds nothing, then I'd check ALL of the electrical connections - power into the drive, and motor power out of the drive, all the way to the ones at, and in, the motor. Look for loose connectors, loose wires in the connectors, any signs of distress (corrosion, burned wires or melted plastic, etc.). If that turns up nothing, then it's almost certainly a faulty drive - not much else it can be.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Ray - thanks! I figured that - but I have never tried to grab it w/ my hand either.

I just downloaded the servo settings from Novakon. I will inspect the wiring too.

Thanks!

You can also test the driver by connecting it to a different axis, and re-programming it (there are only a handful of settings that differ between the spindle and other axes).

Regards,
    Ray L.

Well I checked all the settings and they look correct. The only thing that didn't make sense was when I queried the Servo Driver for what Servo Motor is connected (P002) it gave the code A101 which is a much smaller servo driver . It should have given B103 which is the 1.2kw servo motor the Pulsar comes with.

I will email John.

Definitely not normal. You cannot even turn the spindle by hand or with a wrench when powered up.

There is no way to stop it by hand. I tap 3/8 16 in CRS at 150 IPM with no trouble.
    Lee

Well - with John's help - I did some more testing and was able to set the driver to "b103" in P002. This is the proper settings for the Pulsar Servo (110ST-4030). Unfortunately it didn't do anything for my problem.

When I went into the diagnostic screen in the Maxsine EP1C it seems to show all the right indicators:

- When I grab and stop the spindle with my hand the Peak Torque = 200%, and the Peak Current is 10A.

- When running at 100rpm the Peak Torque is 3-4%, and the Peak Current is 0.1A

-The bus voltage shows 346v (no idea if this is correct but sounds reasonable)

So I think that the Servo DRIVER is set correctly. Maybe my servo motor is damaged or weak?

Anyone have experience w/ a servo motor losing it's torque strength?

I haven't heard of it, but have only little experience with them. If you think it may be the motor, I have one here that I pulled off the torus. Same motor. The encoder went out in it, but the motor is still fine. Still looks like new.
    I was going to keep it as a spare, but I don't have an encoder for it.
    If I need one in the future, I will just order it complete and have cheaper shipping charges.
    If you want to send me your address and feel like swapping out encoders, I will send it your way on Monday. That may save you some bucks.
    Lee

Lee - thanks for the offer! I actually ordered one last week from a supplier locally. I am going to swap it out and see what happens, they have a generous return policy if that proves not to be the issue.

If for some reason the new one doesn't connect up to the existing maxsine driver - I will take you up on your offer. I don't think swapping an encoder would be too tricky.

I am still baffled by the problem - not sure if it's the motor, driver, or the PathPilot settings. But I think with the info I posted above - it points to the driver and software being ok.

Thanks again Lee!

Not a problem at all. I was just trying to repay you for all the help with Path Pilot.

Hopefully that will solve your issues. I still haven't done any machining with Path Pilot, but I might hook it back up in the AM just to do a few spindle tests. That may help with your troubleshooting.
    Lee

Any progress on your spindle power?

Steve

Steve - no real progress. John did send a new Driver which didn't solve anything.

I believe he is going to send a new motor out. Hopefully that will be it.

How is your mill running?

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonedoc View Post
    Steve - no real progress. John did send a new Driver which didn't solve anything.

I believe he is going to send a new motor out. Hopefully that will be it.

How is your mill running?
    Hopefully the new motor solves the power problem with your spindle,

I had to reorganize my shop to make room for my Pulsar, Now, having a permanent area for the mill in my shop, I still have to run a 220 volt line to it. Up until now I been running it from a welding outlet by the garage door which is not where I wanted my mill. Up tom this point, all that I have been cutting is wood and a little plastic while learning the mill and PathPilot. My goal is not to crash it anytime soon. I did pick up some aluminum last week. I hope to make my first cuts in aluminum next few days.

Steve