588,396 active members*
5,233 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > anyone tried heekscad / heekscnc for CAM?

anyone tried heekscad / heekscnc for CAM?

is it any good? The CAD side is definately a little weak, but Im wondering what you think on their g-code generating side?

I use it a lot and have been working on improving it. You can check out my blog here:

OpenSourceDesignTools

It has a long way to go before being user friendly, but it has a lot of potential. I like being able to script things and it uses python as it's undelying scripting engine. That makes it pretty cool for doing some interesting tricks.

how good of toolpaths can it do?

They should add a simulator into heekcad for their CAM. That seems to be lacking although you can get free gcode simulators also.

Look at my blog and notice the waterline toolpath. It works well enough for me.

it looks like its just raster scan paths. Can it naively do helical bore and other more optimized paths?

Quote Originally Posted by autobot View Post
    it looks like its just raster scan paths. Can it naively do helical bore and other more optimized paths?
    Scroll down a little further on his blog to see helical holes.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by autobot View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by raster scan paths, but that code is actually doing 'waterline' machining to the part from a step file.
    It can do profiles, pocketing, drilling, zigzag surfacing, and waterline surfacing. It doesn't do it all perfectly, but the code is open source, so I have been working on making more 'usable' for machining. I am just a cad jockey and occasional machinist, not a programmer, but have figured out enough to make it do what I want it to. Dan Heeks, the originator of the program is moving from being a full time programmer to a machine shop owner, so look forward to much improvement in it's operations.