588,224 active members*
4,504 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Motor speed controller?

I have removed all of the electronics except the power supply, E stop, EMI filters and the motor controller board. Upon checking the voltages, there is supply ac (120vac) coming into the board. All wires are still connected and powered except the "J1" header, which has a 9 pin connector that has 5 wires actually connected. This connector has
    Pin 1 Red, Pin 2 Black, Pin 3 Black, Pins 4,5,6 & 7 are blank. Pin 8 is Yellow and Pin 9 is Black. Judging from the wiring diagram, do you see a way to manually switch the spindle on? Possibly even computer control? Here is the schematic. There is bound to be a way to hot wire this board. Please help before I have to cry to Al!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ScreenHunter_01 Oct. 08 16.10.gif  

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Please help before I have to cry to Al!
    I thought for a minute that was a cry to Allah!?
    It looks quite possible to run the spindle controller on its own as far as I can see, the problem is the print is illegible? I tried enhancing it but my eyes fail me.
    Is it possible to post a nice sized jpg or?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

It was! In the meantime I talked to Roberto at Dyna and he told me how to use a 5v+ signal to trigger pin 8 and 5V- to pin 9 on the J1 header of the spindle motor controller board, pins 1 & 2 of the J1 header must be jumpered or still connected to the switch in the spindle head. I have it working via the pot on the spindle head. Originally it only had relay control anyway not speed. According to that diagram, that is a VFD isnt it? Doesnt the speed controller pot just vary the voltage going to the board for speed control? I was going to use the 5v trigger in the G540 for spindle on/off and maybe see if the 0-10V VFD output of the G540 would give me speed control thru G code or (S). Am I on the right track? Even though computer spindle speed control shouldnt be necessary on a mill.
    Thanks Al

It is hard to make out, but I only see two wires going to the motor from A+ A-, if this is correct it would indicate a DC motor, in the absence of any field winding then it would be permanent field?
    It also looks like a manual pot for speed, which could be replaced by analogue voltage.
    Al.

Albert E.

Does that mean that the G540 could most likely control the speed?

Yes anything that provides 0-10v should.
    Al.

Albert E.

On second thoughts, I just noticed that the variable speed pot is set up as a variable resistor not a potentiometer, which would indicate that external voltage input may not be possible unless you can find a 10v supply output on the spindle unit that is referenced to the resistor common and use this supply instead of the supply on the analogue unit you intend to use.
    Al.

Albert E.

Wouldnt one of the wires going to the pot be the 10v feed? Couldnt I branch that thru the G540 and have it vary the voltage? G540 says not to use more than 12V for the VFD. Not sure of the terms. But first I must gain relay control thru the G540. It shouldnt be a problem since I think the G540 really switches the ground and not the +. The speed controller requires a 5v+ & 5V- connection to be enabled, I will switch the ground and it should work. Then on to speed control.